electronic lead screw

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A bit of advice re: the encoder and display connectors. Mark the ground pin on the Launchpad board and on the encoder connector and the +5 pin on the boost board and the display connector with a Sharpie. The visual aides are added insurance against reversing the connections.

Here is some information on the encoder.https: //www.ia.omron.com/product/item/2453/
Looking at the pin assignment of the Lunchpad, I don't believe that the encoder would be damaged by reversing the plug. It would put the supply voltage across two output pins (2A & 2B). If the Launchpad port is damaged, you should be able to use J13 by changing the switches. https://github.com/clough42/electronic-leadscrew/blob/master/docs/images/LaunchPad.jpg

ian999

Regarding the Clough42 ELS on a ML7

Gentlemen thank you once more.

a. I do not have an oscilloscope but I did a crude test on both Omron decoders with a multimeter. Applying 5v DC across the brown and blue(common ground) wires, I measured the voltage across black (A) and blue, then across white (B) and blue.
I then slowly rotated the spindle and observed voltage fluctuations between 0 and +0.1v DC.
This is what I would expect from the circuit diagram in the link from RJSakowski.
Also I would expect that the diode on the +5v feed (brown wire) should be well capable of surviving reversed polarity at the 5v level.
I opened one of the encoders and there was no obvious sign of burnt out components.
Therefore, absent any advice from you, I am going to assume that both encoders are working correctly.

b. Moving the encoder input from J12 to J13 had no effect. I feel that there should be a switch change but the instructions say not.

c. Knowing that you have a good configuration with v1.0.03 I flashed that version into memory and rebooted. The control panel now reads the correct version 1.0.03 but the rpm still only shows zero.

OK, I have had enough. I am sure it works but that I have screwed up somewhere. I feel as though it needs a switch set somewhere on the TI board. But I have spent about $500 on this and it has stopped being fun. I do not want to solder wires I just want to make swarf so I am going to hob some change gears and put the stepper motor on my mini mill.

Thanks for all your help.

ttabbal

I do have a scope and other electronics test gear. If you would like me to take a look at your parts, let me know. Perhaps I can help you at least identify parts with issues.

ian999

ttabbal, that is very kind of you to offer to test some parts.
However I live in Canada -- too far to drive, and the cost of postage, duty, general border issues would be so high that I could buy a new encoder!
Thanks again.

GunsOfNavarone

Anyone here have the Clough42 old metal bud box lid they don't need? Those of you that bought Cloughs PCB lid as well....

jlesser27

Registered
Registered
I have the box lid but have some layout marks on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunsOfNavarone

@jlesser27 I could skim cut it. I'll tell you from indicting mine in...they are not flat, so a skim would be helpful. I have mine I just finished you could have in trade. It's not flawless, its my first ever from fusion to final product, metal cnc project.

GunsOfNavarone

I guess I'll start a conversation with you and put it there? I don't want it public posted for bots and such...

GunsOfNavarone

Regarding the Clough42 ELS on a ML7

Gentlemen thank you once more.

a. I do not have an oscilloscope but I did a crude test on both Omron decoders with a multimeter. Applying 5v DC across the brown and blue(common ground) wires, I measured the voltage across black (A) and blue, then across white (B) and blue.
I then slowly rotated the spindle and observed voltage fluctuations between 0 and +0.1v DC.
This is what I would expect from the circuit diagram in the link from RJSakowski.
Also I would expect that the diode on the +5v feed (brown wire) should be well capable of surviving reversed polarity at the 5v level.
I opened one of the encoders and there was no obvious sign of burnt out components.
Therefore, absent any advice from you, I am going to assume that both encoders are working correctly.

b. Moving the encoder input from J12 to J13 had no effect. I feel that there should be a switch change but the instructions say not.

c. Knowing that you have a good configuration with v1.0.03 I flashed that version into memory and rebooted. The control panel now reads the correct version 1.0.03 but the rpm still only shows zero.

OK, I have had enough. I am sure it works but that I have screwed up somewhere. I feel as though it needs a switch set somewhere on the TI board. But I have spent about $500 on this and it has stopped being fun. I do not want to solder wires I just want to make swarf so I am going to hob some change gears and put the stepper motor on my mini mill.

Thanks for all your help.
Man! If you weren't in a different country, I'd say send me your Ti board and boost board, I'd plug it into my working system and figure it out. I REALLY feel like it's something simple/small. I feel your frustration. Maybe just take a step back, clear your head and come back in a week.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock