Emco Compact 8 dimension request

OK, I had to do a little tweaking because I didn't have the original motor and this one is a larger diameter. Also had to move the notched pulley centerline a little as well, hoping that won't be an issue later:rolleyes: I just happen to have some .375 aluminum plate so off to make some chips!

Thanks again for all the measurements!!!

Attachments

• Bracket-Plate.png
    Bracket-Plate.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 24
Steve,

Glad I could help. I sure miss the days when I worked with shop personnel and could grab a chunk of metal and have something made quickly.

You may be well into cutting plate by now, but that big old motor might interfere with the geometry of the pivot point for the belt tensioner and the lever which cams into the tensioner. If the size of the motor is preventing you from maintaining the position of the two belt tensioner pivot points with respect to the spindle, you may want to consider padding up the bed to give you more space to lower the motor.

I didn't think of grabbing the other hole locations, partly because the plate still has all the pieces attached, and partly because there's quite a few dimensions to get the same tensioning geometry. Also, it wasn't clear if you're trying to fabricate all those features. If you plan on trying to duplicate those functions, I can try to capture the critical dimensions, but probably not at the speed you cut metal. Let me know if you want to go that route.

TomKro

Usually, that's where you could make improvements for a better belt system like a newer EMCO lathe of similar size I have seen, also with a VFD setup or servo motor ( I plan to put 2.6 kW servo in mine ) giving you the ability to cut alu without any long strings with carbide tooling or more.

Thanks Tom and Fermic! Yes, making chips as I write this, and I had the same concern about the geometry. I will be making everything there that moves as close to "function" as was intended, and raising the lathe up is an excellent option, as I could raise it around 2" or so and still be at a good height:<) I drew a circle on the path of the tensioner with relation to the spindle and "I think" I will be good.....if not, I have more plate:<) Plus, that circle representing the clutch is 1.5" bigger than the measurement you gave me earlier....just in case ;)

OK, now I have something to stare at and figure out what's next:distant:

Attachments

• Resized_20210325_093722.jpeg
    Resized_20210325_093722.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 21
OK, Rev-2:<); I didn't like how little meat I left to attach too, got to carried away with 2-D vs 3-D views, and to better reflect Tom's numbers, plus, there is plenty of clearance still between the plate and the motor. I like it a lot better! ;)

Attachments

• Resized_20210325_112831.jpeg
    Resized_20210325_112831.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 18
Now that I have some real estate to work with, I'm going through some numbers with the pulley diameters. I must be missing something though. If the drive pulley ( 18 tooth @ 1.12 dia.) is driving the large toothed clutch pulley ( ? teeth x 3.8" dia) that comes to about 500 rpm. Now that 500 rpm is now driving a 1.421" dia. to a 5.275" dia. spindle pulley, I get 147 rpm. This is the BC pulleys in number 1 groove according to the face plate,( borrowed pic, I don't have the plate) and it says it should be @ 100 rpm.Where did I go wrong? My low rpm goal is the 100.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Speed-Chart.png
    Speed-Chart.png
    1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have nothing of value to add to the discussion but I wanted to say that this whole thread is what HM is about. You guys are providing much needed help in a very open, generous manner to a brother in need and it is really nice to see. This kind of generosity encourages our other new members to feel free to ask for help, which tends to go against the grain for a lot of guys. So, good job, everyone! Nelson would be proud of you guys.

Mikey - Back when I was trying to patch up my Logan 200 I received plenty of assistance and encouragement. It's what makes this forum so nice.

Steve - my machine runs a little faster (or it should, once I put it back together). The nameplate indicates a speed range from 120 thru 2000 RPM using a 1700 RPM motor. I count 60 teeth on the driven clutch, so driver/driven is 0.3. Driver/driven came to about 0.269 using the ballpark sheave ODs. That resulted in a final calculated RPM of about 137. Still too fast. I'm not familiar with the particular style of small V-belt, but I gaged it at about 0.135 total depth. As a ballpark, I deducted the total belt depth from the two pulley diameters (1/2 each side?) which left me with driver/driven at about 0.25, resulting in 127.5 RPM, which is still a bit higher than the nameplate, but at least closer.

Maybe someone on the forum has some technical guidance on that small v-belt, and can give you an idea of how much smaller you can cut the smallest driver pulley to get where you want to be.

BTW, nice job on the plate.

TomKro

Steve - A bigger flat/cogged belt pulley on the clutch would do the trick, if you haven't cut that yet.

Back