[4]

Enco 8x30 Knee Mill weight

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hello everybody.
I'm picking up an Enco 8x30 mill Friday and wondering if anybody has an idea how much this machine weighs? It's vintage 2002 in perfect shape from my untrained eye. Looking forward to getting it home and learning how to use it. I'm completely new to machine tools but hope to find guidance here from this great community of machinist. I also have a small Craftsman lathe, 101-07301 that I just finished cleaning up with new spindle bearings and fresh paint.
Here's the Enco. Any info is greatly appreciated, I've been unable to find much info on this machine.
Thanks guys
Jeff
Edit
Oh, this is the model number the PO gave me, I forgot to double check it when I was there.
Model No: 0319320
Thanks again
IMG_1250.JPG

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
That looks exactly like my Grizzly. It weighs 900 lbs.

Z2V

Thanks for that ddickey
How do you like your Grizzly? Any particulars you can pass my way?

ddickey

It's a decent mill for a home shop.
A little bit of a pain changing belt positions.
Make sure to lock the knee when making heavy cuts.
It's not a powerhouse but gets the job done, running 220V helps some.
Make sure the idler cone pulley is tight. Mine was lose and made a real racket until I figured out what it was.

Bamban

Active User
Was that the mill advertised in the Austin CL located in Round Rock. That was a good price for 1100 or 1200 if I remember right, with an Accurite DRO.

Did you get the lathe also?

Z2V

Yes, I'll be running it on 220v . Thanks for the other points.

Z2V

Bamban,
Yes, that's the one. I wanted the lathe also but I guess the seller missed my intention and sold the lathe before I got there. It was 1100 which I feel was a great price. It's clean as can be. Seller stated rarely used, he meant it. This will completely fill my garage of every available sq.ft. but I'm exited to get it.
I see your local to me, I'm in Cedar Park.

Bamban

Active User
Bamban,
Yes, that's the one. I wanted the lathe also but I guess the seller missed my intention and sold the lathe before I got there. It was 1100 which I feel was a great price. It's clean as can be. Seller stated rarely used, he meant it. This will completely fill my garage of every available sq.ft. but I'm exited to get it.
I see your local to me, I'm in Cedar Park.
Good to hear you are local, maybe we can hook sometime. I live in Anderson Mill. Give me shout bambanbarrelbarn@gmail.com

The ad popped up on my auto search while I was in California, within a minute I got the notification I called a friend in Austin to go buy both, he snoozed...he lost. Had I been in Austin, it would have been a race between us.... lol.

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
As Ddickey mentioned, looks like the same as a Grizzly G1004. I have the Grizzly 1008 which is the same mill with power feed on X axis. A light duty mill, but working for my needs at present.

This is the Grizzly manual which may help with some information.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1004_m.pdf

I agree changing the belts is a pain, due to insufficient travel of the motor, so the belts are not easy to get off a given pulley. In the Grizzly there is speed of 950 then next lower speed is 490 rpm with nothing in between. I like running around 700 rpm.

On my machine the idler pulley was about 1/2in higher than the spindle pulley which added to more belt noise.

I finally removed the idler pulley, flipped the motor pulley upside down and purchased a long link belt. Much quieter operation.

I now have only two speeds, but one is 770 rpm. I will eventually replace the motor with 3 phase and VFD.

My motor is a non-standard design. Not NEMA, not IEC. A motor mount bolt spacing like a NEMA 145 but with a 3/4in shaft diameter and an odd key size perhaps 5mm.

Tramming the head is nudge-and-fudge, no adjustment screws. Just takes longer. No nod feature, so at the mercy of the factory getting this correct.

The thread on the idler pulley shaft on my mill is the same as the bolts for the motor mount and to lock the head, but they are a weird metric thread. FYI in case you loose one, you would need to make a replacement.

Last edited:

Z2V

Bamban
I also had the search notification and was the first to reply. That was the only reason I got it. I made appointment to meet him Monday morning at 9. Several others replied after me but he wouldn't sell the mill to them because of my appointment. Several offered more than his asking price but he said no. Ruffled a few feathers. Seller is a standup guy!
I'm at jeffincptx@gmail.com

Dave
Thanks for the link and all the points that you mentioned, much appreciated

I'll post up a few pics when I get her home.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
Ck out doubleboost on YouTube , his mill exactly , I've never watch him ever not do a job on it that he don't push it to the max. His riser block is like nine inches . In fact he just installed a new motor set up with a vfd . Completely set up no messing around programming or extras. It works as well as a Bridgeport .
It's not the machine it's the machinist. I own one too the enco model like yours.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Nice find :congrats: Now when you pick it up If you want, drop it off at my shop and I will take real good care of it for you. :laughing:

Z2V

Silverbullet
I'll try to watch some of those youtubes latter this evening. Thanks for the link.

Kd
I've always wanted to see Florida. Have a good friend in St Petersburg
Thanks

I was hoping to get it by Friday but my friend with truck and forklift can't get to it until Tuesday morning.
Oh well, it's only gonna cost me a good lunch (Brazilian Steakhouse) to get it moved. Tuesday it is!!

RandyWilson

I attempted to buy one if these mills that had never been used. The seller and I were too far apart on value.He is now seeing it my way, but I stumbled into a large Cincinnati before he did. It seems to be a good compact machine. Some big machine capabilities in a mill/drill footprint.

And I do like Doubleboost. He gets on with it without all the whining and complaining about metric and things made "across the pond".

Z2V

I plan to watch Doubleshoot tonight.
I just looked through the two small boxes of tooling that came with it. He gave me everything he had because he's not getting another mill. Seven collets,
3/32 - 3/4, six large taps, six full end mills, and a box full of clamps of different sizes. It couldn't have been used much with no more than that I guess, or just doing the same thing over and over.
Tooling or not I feel like I got a heck of a deal.
I think a drill chuck will be my first purchase along with some mills.
Cheers

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
Doubleboost states his mill is a "626". Looks very similar to the ENCO. I am not familiar with the "626" model reference.

The milling vise looks like a nice big vise. It will be heavy for raising and the knee, especially with the swivel base. FYI, if your mill is like mine, the elevation crank is not the same as Bridgeports, if you had thought about purchasing a crank adapter for a cordless drill. My mill is 7 teeth vs Bridgeport havign 9 teeth.

A picture of my crank. Eagle eyed readers will see what looks like a crack in the lower left. Optical illusion. Not a crack - complete break. LOL

"Murphy" took the crank out of my hand when I was turning it backwards and dashed it to the concrete floor. I had planned on getting foam floor mats but did not have one that day. Only a week or so after getting the mill. I now do have foam floor mats.

I will make my own adapter eventually. I now have a rotary table. I may get some divider plates to dial in the angles.

I epoxied the broken tooth then drilled and pinned it. So far 6 months on and no issues. I also do not remove the crank anymore.

Grizzly_elevation_crank_broken_tooth_decent_fit_7573.jpg

Z2V

At least it didn't hit you and hurt you
Thanks for the pointers.
I forgot, yes it does have a good sized vice with it.

ddickey

No angle on that handle. Just straight across. A rotary table will do fine.

Z2V

Doubleboost is a hoot.

Z2V

IMG_3666.JPG IMG_3667.JPG IMG_3670.JPG Well, I finally got this machine home in my garage. A friend moved it for me first thing this morning and as soon as he loaded his forklift back onto his trailer it started raining. Got lucky. I have it mostly set in place, and wired up. I will give it a good clean down tomorrow and get it leveled up. It was built in 2002 but it's near spotless. Very little use. It has a DRO and oiler.

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
Nice clean machine. If mine were painted the same colour, it would be a twin. Had to be the same design and likely the same factory.

My machine also has an oiler. The top and front level cover were both cracked so I had to fix or replace. Most of the units I found on EBay were larger. I could have got the same size from a China supplier. I cleaned up the dried out oil and tested that the pump worked, so I decided to fix. I do wonder how/if the original owner was lubricating the ways.

I had a thick piece of plexiglass so I cut two pieces, one for the level cover and one for the top. I recycled the seal from the level cover. I decided to go simple with the top. I will remove the 4 screws when this needs to be refilled. I do like the clear cover.

Now the oiler is back to normal operation.

Mill_manual_lube_pump_cleaned_fixed_7543.jpg

Z2V

Funny that you mention " how/ if original owner was lubricating the ways"
When I bought my little lathe I asked the seller to point out all the lubrication points and his response was " sorry I can't help you with that ".
The oiler was the first thing I checked. Just needs a good clean down.

Z2V

Does anyone have a operation manual for this DRO? I found ether models online but haven't found this particular one.

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered

Z2V

Thanks Dave, I did find it in the discontinued section. There is one for three axis where I only have two but looks like a match otherwise.

jeff_g1137

Active User
Hi
Nice mill :eagerness:
jeff g

Z2V

Thanks Jeff

scurv

Swarf
Registered
I have this same mill enco 03193208 love never any problems with the operator is a different story. Bought it new in 2001. I am new and had not seen the foirm for enco machimes. I posted in the general shop fourm for spec on the motor frame I want to go 3 phase with a controler so I can have reverse and better speed control. Shoulders starting to complain about belt changes. The grizzly G078 has a 2 horse 3phase and looks the same mill frame as mine, try to get specs on that motor to see if it will work would like the frame and spindle dia and length if any of you have made this converison or know some with the G078 mill i would like to hear from you. I have been in contact with double boost from you tube he sent me a copy of the spec sheet on his motor nothing matched US execpt 3 phase.
Thanks
Scurv

Z2V

Scurv
Have you called MSC? I talked to a lady there in the machine support department. She fixed me up with a owners manual and parts breakdown. They might be able to point you to a suitable 3ph motor that would be a direct replacement.
Like you, I don’t like changing the speed on this machine, it’s a PIA. I will be changing mine to either a 3 ph and VFD or a treadmill motor and controller. I’ll likely go the 3ph route in the end. I’ve looked closely at a motor/ drive pkg from Dealers. The motor is 143T frame , I’ll just take some measurements and make it fit. I don’t know it for fact but I suspect the OEM motor is metric.
http://dealerselectric.com/2-HP-1800-RPM-230-Volts-Input-Package.asp

scurv

Swarf
Registered
The shaft on the motor is 3/4 dia and about about 3 3/8 long with 1 inch room for more shaft in the pulley, probably change the pulleys to a single any way. I will call MSC in the morning.

Thanks
Scurv

[6]
[5] [7]