[4]

Enco 8x30 Knee Mill weight

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

scurv

Registered
MSC said 15 year old machine no way to figure out what motor was on it they did not use frame size like nema standards, or even the same motors year to year
Scurv

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
That sounds about right. I took some measurements off mine and couldn’t match them to Nema frame either.
Sounds like it’s cut it to fit, file to match and paint it so it’s purty!

Torque Monkey

Registered
Hello, I have the Harbor Freight version of this mill in a 6x26 size. The guy I bought it from add power feed on the X axis, DRO and a home built power draw bar. I just completed the conversion to a 3-phase motor and VFD with a hall effect tachometer. I used a Baldor 1.5hp motor that I got off CL and a very cheap VFD off Ebay. I probably have less than $200.00 into the whole conversion. Now with the belts set for the 1350 (???) RPM setting I can go from 200 rpm to 2200 RPM by turning a pot-meter. It had made the operation of this mill so much better. I also wired in a jog switch for both directions so I can power tap with ease. By adjusting the belts to the lowest RPM setting I have been able to get down to 20 RPM but I don't use that much. The belts have been set and forget pretty much.

Z2V

Hello TM
What frame motor did you use, any problem using original mounting and pulley? If you could share a pick of your success we would like to see it.
Thanks for chiming in!

Z2V

You posted them while I was replying, thanks

Torque Monkey

Registered
I couldn’t find a motor frame number on the tag.

Here is a picture of the tag.

80c4cc8e414a202e720ffc61988d833d.jpg

It had several bolt patterns in the base of the motor. I got lucky and one set matched right up.

For the pulley I had to make an adapter sleeve as the original motor had a slightly bigger shaft. I don’t remember the exact sizes but both were odd balls. There was no chance of buying something that would fit off the shelf.

This is a picture of the sleeve part way on the Baldor motor shaft.

dba241b13eee1071377d4ab08229904d.jpg

Plan “B” was to try to make my own step pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Z2V

Z2V

Nice, the power feed and jog switchs were good additions. It’s good to hear a 56 frame motor will bolt up without major modifications. Good job
Thanks for the info and pics

Torque Monkey

Registered
I will have to get a better picture of the pneumatic draw bar. It uses a cheap butterfly air impact gun and makes changing tools very easy and fast.

scurv

Registered
That is some great information. I was about to buy 143t 2hp 3ph maybe I better check a little more. That conversion looks great. I will be going in for some surgery in a week would like to have ordered and here before so I can complete when I lose the lifting weight limit.
Thanks

Scurv

Z2V

TM has done a lot of work to his mill that’s for sure, posted some good info. Thanks TM
Scurv, best wishes for a speedy recovery from your upcoming surgery. Keep us posted on your mods to your mill!

Torque Monkey

Registered
I did take a picture of the power draw bar but I don’t want to highjack the thread.

That was not my intention of posting the pictures. My apologies.

Z2V

TM
Post em up. I’d like to see it. If you start a thread I’ll follow it . Either way!

scurv

Registered
I wanf to see the pictures also my 3phase motor and controler should be to Idaho on Friday2 to 3 weeks hope to have it running

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
I did take a picture of the power draw bar but I don’t want to highjack the thread.

That was not my intention of posting the pictures. My apologies.

Could you when your next out in the shop measure the diameter of the top part of the column where it swivels the head . I'm trying to figure what size I need to raise it to get more table to cutter height. I'm not able to get to mine , still trying to get bulging discs fixed by drs.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
Thanks ill be watching for a chunk 6" diameter x 6" long or some 4" heavy wall tubing , I can always weld cross bars for the bolt hole hold downs. That should give me an extra 4" or so in table room. And for cheap too.
Doubleboost has his like 9" high, but I think he did some other work also. Like locknut the table lift screw.
Dear God I wish I weren't so screwed up physically.

Z2V

Well, I got the mill outfitted with a VFD today. I used a 2 hp motor, 145T frame, 1750 rpm. The motor bolted right up after I enlarged the holes in the base by 1/16”. The shaft is 7/8” where the old motor was 19 mm, so for now I picked up a single 3 1/2” pulley from tractor supply. I don’t have a boring bar large enough to bore out the original step pulley. I was able to reuse the belts that are like new so that is good.
It is scary quiet running. I’m deaf in one ear and can’t hear out of the other so it’s hard to tell if it’s running. While I was at it I put felt between the belt lid and the top frame so the lid doesn’t rattle now either. I plan to stop by Fry’s tomorrow and pick up a red and green LED to put in the run station to show green for running and red for not, can’t hurt to have the visual. I don’t like the run station but it’s what I have for now.
The control is very basic. Forward, reverse, stop, and jog forward and reverse. I have a MachTach for it that will mount under the DRO. The speed pot will be in the box with the MachTach. I used a Delta VFD with a brake resistor.
I hope to put the tach together by the end of the upcoming weekend.
It has come together very well, I’m happy with it.
A few pics
E5127D8A-87F8-4A38-BADF-AC66747DCEE5.jpeg03F7576B-A20F-4AE5-8316-28C0E726F52D.jpeg

Dave Paine

Brass
Registered
VFD setup looks good. I need to upgrade my G1008 to VFD and 3 phase motor. My original motor is quiet and smooth, just single phase so only pulleys for speed change.

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
very nice! I have a treadmill motor install to do to mine this summer - can't wait to have variable speed at the turn of a knob again.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
Nice wish I could get out to mine . Oh well nothing I can do about it from a bed in pain . Like the way it sounds nice quiet running is good. I too only have one ear to hear. Your installation looks good too.
Great job now it's time to get it dirty and build some projects.

scurv

Registered
I have 2 hp motor and the vfd. Doctor says I am good to lift. Hope to get it done in the xext couple of weeks I have started wth the dro cant wait to get it all done
Scurv

Z2V

scurv
Looking forward to seeing yours finished as well. Post it up when your done.

Z2V

Well I finally got the MachTach mounted and working. I started with a Serpac case and IR sensor but ditched it for a Polycase and a Hall effect sensor in the end. I put the magnets on the bottom side of the spindle step pulley and the sensor under the belt guard right near the oil cup on the right side. While I was checking operation tonight and put six magnets on the step pulley and turned it on the see it work. I turned the knob just a little too far and slung magnets all over the garage. I only found 3 out of 6. The magnets are glued in place now, not going anywhere. All seems to be working fine.
D3FAF400-25DE-42F8-97FB-8ED8A3457D21.jpegDC071EE8-15DA-40CC-9638-DC091D455B3A.jpeg

[6]
[5] [7]