Enco 9x20?

Lol,
I've never cut, nor even seen a set of 1.5 tpi threads either. It was more a comment about the lowest speed on that Enco lathe which seemed a little fast for thread cutting. I would really need to be on my toes to cut threads that fast.
I like it slow.
To me, 75 rpm is luxuriously slow for thread cutting. That was also the minimum back gear speed of the South Bend 13s in my gunsmithing classes. Students that had no previous experience running a lathe had no problem cutting 10 tpi threads. I just showed them how to make a stop groove. I don’t recall anyone botching their barrel threads.

After using the Jet 1024 and South Bend lathes I took their back gear speed for granted. I sold the Jet and my mill when I moved. Someone I know was upgrading and offered his Grizzly 11x26 to me at a good price. I bought it with the expectation of replacing it eventually. Its minimum speed is 150 rpm. Initially it was pretty exciting threading at that speed but I’m used to it now. I’ve had to chase 3” x 10 tpi threads on several pieces on the Grizzly. Using Joe Pie’s left to right threading method takes all of the excitement away.

Thought on the 1.5 tpi thread: Propeller shaft nut on a ship?

Last edited:
To me, 75 rpm is luxuriously slow for thread cutting. That was also the minimum back gear speed of the South Bend 13s in my gunsmithing classes. Students that had no previous experience running a lathe had no problem cutting 10 tpi threads. I just showed them how to make a stop groove. I don’t recall anyone botching their barrel threads.

After using the Jet 1024 and South Bend lathes I took their back gear speed for granted. I sold the Jet and my mill when I moved. Someone I know was upgrading and offered his Grizzly 11x26 to me at a good price. I bought it with the expectation of replacing it eventually. Its minimum speed is 150 rpm. Initially it was pretty exciting threading at that speed but I’m used to it now. I’ve had to chase 3” x 10 tpi threads on several pieces on the Grizzly. Using Joe Pie’s left to right threading method takes all of the excitement away.

Thought on the 1.5 tpi thread: Propeller shaft nut on a ship?
I'm too rusty to thread real fast but did learn on either a 13 or 15 inch SB so must have done it before.
Yeah, a stop groove.
As to the 1.5 tpi size...
Your thoughts went to a ship.
Mine went to a bridge.

It is a respectable old lathe.
Decent size to learn on.
It doesn't have to be your last one.
I am on my 4th lathe. Each one was better than the last. And selling the one I had to get a better one didn't hurt my wallet so much each time I took a step up.
Congrats!
It’s going to be a learning experience in many ways. It definitely needs some tlc. Bedways are nice and everything is tight and fairly smooth. but it’s filthy and unfortunately wasn’t under power. But it does appear to be all there where it counts. I gotta do some wiring and replace the capacitor and see where I’m at with the motor. Right now it’s just sitting on the garage floor soaking in wd40 since it decided to downpour all day and it got a bit wet during the solo unloading.

So what would be my best bet for a replacement motor? Had an incident with this one and went off my table and cracked on the floor… I wanted to keep it looking oldschool. But since I have to replace it would I be better off going new?

Attachments

• IMG_5324.jpeg
    IMG_5324.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 17
I'm sorry to see that but things happen.
I see lots of used motors on CL and FB.
Just get one that is the same horsepower, mount and voltage and be happy it was such an easy fix.
Many oops on a lathe are very costly - sometimes even fatal to the machine.

Yea I’m not too bummed anymore. Not thrilled. But meh. I pulled the motor apart and honestly I’m lucky I didn’t run it. It’s a mess in there. Lots of exposed conductors seemed like some good arc chances. How would I know if it’ll physically fit? I found a decent looking AO Smith for a fair deal not too far from me. I really wanted to keep it looking old. But man I hate old wiring.

Last edited:
have you considered replacing it with a treadmill motor and controller?
Gives variable speed control

Yea I’m not too bummed anymore. Not thrilled. But meh. I pulled the motor apart and honestly I’m lucky I didn’t run it. It’s a mess in there. Lots of exposed conductors seemed like some good arc chances. How would I know if it’ll physically fit? I found a decent looking AC Smith for a fair deal not too far from me. I really wanted to keep it looking old. But man I hate old wiring.
The motor info plate should have specs such as voltage, rpm, and frame size. Just match those up with whatever motor you choose and you should be good to go.

If you want variable speed (worthwhile IMHO) you can either go with a 3 phase and VFD, or treadmill conversion. There's lots of info on here about both, my favorite is 3 phase because it allows many different control features. It costs more than a free treadmill though.

John

I like the idea of variable speed. But currently cost and simplicity are a factor. Right now I have some time anyways. I have to tear the lathe apart a bit to clean it up.

The motor info plate should have specs such as voltage, rpm, and frame size. Just match those up with whatever motor you choose and you should be good to go.

If you want variable speed (worthwhile IMHO) you can either go with a 3 phase and VFD, or treadmill conversion. There's lots of info on here about both, my favorite is 3 phase because it allows many different control features. It costs more than a free treadmill though.

John
Can. A VFD also act as a phase converter? No 3 phase for me. At least not yet. Maybe it’s worth it to just save while I freshen up the rest of the machine and the 3 phase and vfd. It’ll serve me in the future too when I upgrade. I mean if….

Back