Enco 9x20?

Can. A VFD also act as a phase converter? No 3 phase for me. At least not yet. Maybe it’s worth it to just save while I freshen up the rest of the machine and the 3 phase and vfd. It’ll serve me in the future too when I upgrade. I mean if….
Yes, my lathe has a 3 phase motor driven by a VFD. Line voltage is 240v single phase. 3 phase motors can be pretty cheap used or surplus. These guys have pretty good deals on a lot of different motors and drives, also single phase if you don't want to use a VFD.

You'll want 1760 rpm 230v if you go with 3 phase. It's easiest if you get something with the same frame size/mount that you currently have but adapting a slightly different mount isn't too hard.

John

Yes, my lathe has a 3 phase motor driven by a VFD. Line voltage is 240v single phase. 3 phase motors can be pretty cheap used or surplus. These guys have pretty good deals on a lot of different motors and drives, also single phase if you don't want to use a VFD.

You'll want 1760 rpm 230v if you go with 3 phase. It's easiest if you get something with the same frame size/mount that you currently have but adapting a slightly different mount isn't too hard.

John
Unfortunately only have 110 in my area for now. And my panel is full. I thought about a tandem 220 but idk. I’m actually starting to look into having a bigger panel put in and some old wiring issues fixed. But we have another project that’s starting here shortly and I can’t handle multiple at a time.

Out of 1/2, 3/4 or 1 standard what horse power would really be best? Seems like 1 is overkill but idk really.

Unfortunately only have 110 in my area for now. And my panel is full. I thought about a tandem 220 but idk. I’m actually starting to look into having a bigger panel put in and some old wiring issues fixed. But we have another project that’s starting here shortly and I can’t handle multiple at a time.

Out of 1/2, 3/4 or 1 standard what horse power would really be best? Seems like 1 is overkill but idk really.
What hp is the motor it had?
I suggest you go with what it had.
Was it reversible? That might be a bit harder to replace.

Last edited:

You can get 120v VFD’s

Go with the size originally specified.

John

It had a 1/2 hp but I’ve see people using anywhere from 1/3 up to a full horse. The motor I fudged up was a 1/2 horse non reversing. But the lathe has a reversing switch on it. Is there any real good reason for a reversing motor? It seems like that would put one in jeopardy of backing the chuck right off.

My lathe has a reverse switch and a screw on chuck, there is a screwed hook that engages in a "V" on the spindle to prevent the chuck from unscrewing.
My 3 jaw, 4 jaw and face plate have never unscrewed when reversing the lathe.
I think the warnings are from large lathes that can stop dead thus allowing the very heavy chuck to unscrew.
Metric threading on an imperial lathe requires the lathe to run in reverse back to the start of the thread

Reversing is one of those things that is nice to have but... you practically Never use it.
Don't worry about it now.
Also, I would not spend my $ on a VFD.
They do give you some cool features but do you need them? I say you don't.
Spend your money on tools and tooling. They will get you a lot farther down the road to making parts.

It had a 1/2 hp but I’ve see people using anywhere from 1/3 up to a full horse. The motor I fudged up was a 1/2 horse non reversing. But the lathe has a reversing switch on it. Is there any real good reason for a reversing motor? It seems like that would put one in jeopardy of backing the chuck right off.
One of my SB9’s has a 1 hp, the other has the original 1/3 hp. Both work good. I sometimes slip the belt on the 1 hp, so I would say 1/2 to 3/4 hp should be plenty big enough.
1725 rpm

One of my SB9’s has a 1 hp, the other has the original 1/3 hp. Both work good. I sometimes slip the belt on the 1 hp, so I would say 1/2 to 3/4 hp should be plenty big enough.
1725 rpm
You don’t have any issues with the 1/3rd? There are a ton of those locally for dirt cheap. For more of a drive I can get a 1/2 horse. Or I can go against my nature and wait til one pops up locally.

You don’t have any issues with the 1/3rd? There are a ton of those locally for dirt cheap. For more of a drive I can get a 1/2 horse. Or I can go against my nature and wait til one pops up locally.
Tell me again
What size is the lathe?

Back