End mill sharpening service

I was hoping a member here i could deal with directly was capable and had the equipment to sharpen bits.
Guess I will have to contact the folks recommended above.
Thanks for the lead!

Roughing end mill.
Can they be sharpened as well, like a regular end mill?

They can be sharpened on the end, but sharpening on the flutes is another matter.

The cost of sharpening does seem to make some sense, given the cost of new name brand end mills. But would it be worth having Chinese HSS mills sharpened? I have both name brand and Chinese in my drawer. I had a friend end sharpen a couple a few years ago, and was very happy with how well they cut. I would think the metallurgy quality is quite a bit lower than name brand mills., so they probably dull quicker.

So, just wondering.

The cost of sharpening does seem to make some sense, given the cost of new name brand end mills. But would it be worth having Chinese HSS mills sharpened? I have both name brand and Chinese in my drawer. I had a friend end sharpen a couple a few years ago, and was very happy with how well they cut. I would think the metallurgy quality is quite a bit lower than name brand mills., so they probably dull quicker.

So, just wondering.
If you buy the economy brands in sets it probably doesn’t make sense sharpening them unless you do it yourself. I’ve worn out a couple of the really cheap ones and have replaced individually from a better quality set from LMS (also picked up a bargain set from LMS last year had 2 7/16” IIRC, so couldn’t be sold as a complete set). Fir harder/tougher materials I use my name brand end mills.

My semi-retired machine shop owner buddy offered me an air bearing grinder/sharpener for $500 a while ago: he bought years ago and only used it a handful of times: was simpler to send a box out for sharpening.

"If you buy the economy brands in sets it probably doesn’t make sense sharpening them unless you do it yourself."

Ok, I suspected that would be the case.

Not having explored commercial resharpening I was shocked and appalled at how inexpensive e.g. Guschow was. It makes the time and money I've spent on sharpening seem... well... unnecessary. I'll console myself with being able to sharpen it *now* as well as being able to create cutters.

That said, I probably wouldn't waste the money to sharpen most inexpensive import HSS tooling. The best part about those that I've had was the coating, and that disappears during sharpening. The second best part is to have something to learn sharpening on...

Prices seem very reasonable. I've bookmarked for possible future use.

GsT

I've used Iverson Tool for sharpening and had good results.

Dumb question. Does the diameter change after sharpening?

Back