End mill sharpening service

Only if the flutes are sharpened, not if just the end is. If the flutes need to be sharpened, then separate these end mills from others that should be "on-size."

In most cases the diameter is only slightly changed so unless you use tool offsets it won't matter.

I guess this only will matter when I use CNC on my mill. Manually, it won't matter.

If you're using reground tools in a CNC, just update your tool table in both the machine and your CAM software and the software/machine will compensate for it. For manual machining you just need to measure it and keep track of the size. Of course, if you want a nominal size slot in one pass, you won't be able to use a reground tool.

Losing diameter on an end mill isn't a big deal. You should always know your cutter diameter when working anyway. The only thing the reduced diameter really does is make it harder to cut certain types of ends on slots, but most other milling movements can be done with an EM of any reasonable size. It doesn't need three zeros on the right of the decimal. Nominal size means just that, in name only.

Back