enfield-303 britich

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
hi guys . question, i have a 303 british mk1 111 i was wondering can the reciever handle a 3006 cartrige, i found a new enfield barrel chamberd in a 3006 and was going to have a gunsmith change it over if it would work with no safety issues, i have a ishapore in 308 that is sweet as can be so i fig a british 303 in a 06 would be great too. ty mac:))

.303 Brit. 49000 psi
.30-06 60000 psi
.308 Win. 62000 psi
While they did the Ishapore's in 7.62 NATO, I'm not comfortable changing a SMLE over to that or .30-06. These are great old rifles but they were not designed for high pressure. Remember ,they were first designed during black powder days.
Bobby

what bobby said :+1:

see if you can find a donor ishapore in 308, maybe with a burned out barrel from the older corrosive ammo, and use that for the conversion.

understand on the pressures, i should have looked at that first, maybe a 3030 conversion might be better i will look up the pressure on that, i'll put the 3006 on ebay or just hold on to it for a while, ty guys:))

well it seems the 3030 only has 38000 but thats would be good for a young hunter or a 100yd shooter, guess i will go that route, now finding someone who can make me one, any hints lol thank mac:))

well need to make a run to the reloaders store, need to do some reloading since its cold outside will turn on some good ole boy music and know out a few hundred rnds thanks much for info. :)) mac

Even the 308 versions have issues with the lugs being set back.

You can use an improved version of the 303 Brit. PO Ackley and Elwood Epps had a couple versions.

Even the 308 versions have issues with the lugs being set back.

You can use an improved version of the 303 Brit. PO Ackley and Elwood Epps had a couple versions.
ty pd think i'm going with the 3030 rd unless i can find a new 303 barrel, i tryed milsurp and brownells to no avail but will check a few builders and see what i can come up with but ty much:)) mac

The 30 WCF is a very good idea in a bolt, it will/should shot very accurately like the Savage 340s could.

I just went and compared a P-17 barrel to a Enfield No 4 Mk2. It is too bad the P-17 contour is so abrupt that one can not cut off the shank and rechamber.
I have had up to 4 Enfields at one time but I sold all expect the No 4 as they were worth more to someone else and I don't use them enough to keep them as locker queens. I only keep family pieces or shooters today.
Pierre

I have read of conversions to the 7.62x59 Mosin round, but it is up there in pressure tool. I concur with staying away from the 06 and 308 chamberings as well. You would also have trouble with the bolt face. The rimless cases are .473" case head and the 303 is about .540" I believe.
Personally, I would go back with the 303 chambering. Just remember that .303 is .311" bullet diameter and 30-30 is .308 bullet diameter.

I have to ask why you're rebarreling? Is the existing barrel in bad shape? Are you looking for more power or a chambering you already load for? Just curious.

Back