enfield-303 britich

A final thought: I would suspect the Enfield barrel you have in 30-06 is for a P17, not the MkI.

Some have also been converted to 7.62 x 39 using the original barrel and some meat being removed from the rear of the chamber.
Also 44 magnum is a viable caliber change being almost the same rim measurements as .303, I am working on this conversion at the moment.

The 30 WCF is a very good idea in a bolt, it will/should shot very accurately like the Savage 340s could.

I just went and compared a P-17 barrel to a Enfield No 4 Mk2. It is too bad the P-17 contour is so abrupt that one can not cut off the shank and rechamber.
I have had up to 4 Enfields at one time but I sold all expect the No 4 as they were worth more to someone else and I don't use them enough to keep them as locker queens. I only keep family pieces or shooters today.
Pierre
i here you pd we have 6 enfeilds and a ishapore all are scoped except the one i want to rebarrel it shoots a 6 inch pattern lol i guess it was abused before i got it. once i got it i checked the headspace and it was great but it just dont hold a good group, i want to keep it but also want it to be a good shooter, and i do have a savage 3030 bolt action and i can blow the center out of a 12 gage shell at a 100yds it has a scope to thats what my son and daughter learned to shoot with.:)) mac

A final thought: I would suspect the Enfield barrel you have in 30-06 is for a P17, not the MkI.
i think its a p17 from the research i did today seems their was 3 us companys that made them to help england cause they werent able to mass produce to keep up with the war:)) mac

Some have also been converted to 7.62 x 39 using the original barrel and some meat being removed from the rear of the chamber.
Also 44 magnum is a viable caliber change being almost the same rim measurements as .303, I am working on this conversion at the moment.
let me know how it goes i might be interested in that too thanks:)) mac

I have read of conversions to the 7.62x59 Mosin round, but it is up there in pressure tool. I concur with staying away from the 06 and 308 chamberings as well. You would also have trouble with the bolt face. The rimless cases are .473" case head and the 303 is about .540" I believe.
Personally, I would go back with the 303 chambering. Just remember that .303 is .311" bullet diameter and 30-30 is .308 bullet diameter.

I have to ask why you're rebarreling? Is the existing barrel in bad shape? Are you looking for more power or a chambering you already load for? Just curious.
rick the barrel is shot it only holds about a 6 inch group, i tryed crowning the barrel to no avail, i would rather keep it a 303 but can find a good enough barrel and cant find a new barrel either. :)) mac

Hi Irishwoodsman, are there any markings on your 30.06 barrel, especially up near the front sight?

Hi Irishwoodsman, are there any markings on your 30.06 barrel, especially up near the front sight?

cant find any markings, i was going from what the gentleman told me i got it from, i do know the contour is a tad diffrent from the regular 303 but it screws in nice and tight in a old 303 action i have basicly it just the end of the action that has the threads and i'm not for sure if the enfields were metric threads or not. :)) mac

The NRA Gunsmithing Guide I have shows

Short Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE) to be 14 tpi major diameter of .997"

P17 to have square threads and major diameter of 1.118"
I will get mine and check it shortly if you wish.
Pierre

The NRA Gunsmithing Guide I have shows

Short Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE) to be 14 tpi major diameter of .997"

P17 to have square threads and major diameter of 1.118"
I will get mine and check it shortly if you wish.
Pierre
ty pd that would help :)) mac

Back