Euro Style edge finder.. any with imperial sizes?

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I switched mostly from a modern edge finder back to a wiggler, because I had trouble seeing the edge finder kick over. I noticed on videos that the Euro edge finder (see pic) is much easier to see kick over. The problem is I have never been able to find an imperial version.
I would like to find something that has simple .2 or .4 barrels so I can move over .1 or .2.. The one I am showing is from Amazon, and based on price alone, it's probably junk, but it's also in mm... which means a weird move in imperial for me.
51sstp4TTEL._SL1001_.jpg

I switched mostly from a modern edge finder back to a wiggler, because I had trouble seeing the edge finder kick over. I noticed on videos that the Euro edge finder (see pic) is much easier to see kick over. The problem is I have never been able to find an imperial version.
I would like to find something that has simple .2 or .4 barrels so I can move over .1 or .2.. The one I am showing is from Amazon, and based on price alone, it's probably junk, but it's also in mm... which means a weird move in imperial for me.
View attachment 481090
I have that one and it was the most responsive in a comparison I made a few months ago. Better than the B&S audible and the Flexbar super jump, but on par with this ceramic one:

IMG_6791.jpeg
Also metric, but has a long reach.

Another reason to add DRO’s?

Last edited:
I have that one and it was the most responsive in a comparison I made a few months ago. Better than the B&S audible and the Flexbar super jump, but on par with this ceramic one:

View attachment 481103
Also metric, but has a long reach.
any video of the comparison? I really like the Euro, and my history with standard just kept getting worse. The wiggler has been excellent, but it comes with some draw backs like dangerous whipping ball and chain trying to hurt you.

The usual USA wiggler can be made more sensitive by grinding a small flat on the probe, and I personally like to shaine a bright light opposite to my viewing position, this makes it much easier to know that you are about to make contact.

View attachment 481090
I use a regular edge finder and a wiggler, in my shop both have their place.

any video of the comparison? I really like the Euro, and my history with standard just kept getting worse. The wiggler has been excellent, but it comes with some draw backs like dangerous whipping ball and chain trying to hurt you.
I dig through my posts (may have been on another forum) and post tomorrow.

The usual USA wiggler can be made more sensitive by grinding a small flat on the probe, and I personally like to shaine a bright light opposite to my viewing position, this makes it much easier to know that you are about to make contact.
I already have that on mine. I blame the LED's with their high frequency flicker it makes it very hard to see it kick over. I have liked the wiggler.. but at times it goes flying (dangerous), and others it's unruly.. but mostly it works way better at picking up the edge.

I already have that on mine. I blame the LED's with their high frequency flicker it makes it very hard to see it kick over. I have liked the wiggler.. but at times it goes flying (dangerous), and others it's unruly.. but mostly it works way better at picking up the edge.
I use a large inspection mirror where I can view the edge finder between the mirror and the part.

Back