Evaporust goo!?!?

walterwoj

Registered
Registered
I have had a bunch of parts in a bucket in my garage for a month or two and when I went to pull the parts out they are covered in theirs yellowish goo!
It wipes off and the parts don't appear damaged but what is going on here?
Is it because I let the bucket get too cold? (Maybe as low as 40 but more like 50f)
Will it dissolve once I warm it up again? (I just got a fish tank heater for it)
Is my evaporust no good now?
Should I strain it out and toss the goo?
1524c60e9d30093d94954c99669f05df.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thats weird! Usually Evaporust usually works in a few hours, I've never had to leave anything soak for more than a day. Maybe the parts were just in too long?

IIRC, my gallon of evaporust had a shelf life in the instructions and it decreased significantly once the container was opened. Right now, I'm not sure if what I had was evaporust brand or a similar one. You might reread the instructions. I do remember being disappointed to realize that I would probably not be able to use the entire gallon before the stuff expired.

I think you left it in too long. The sludge maybe is contamination .. Why'd you leave it in that long?
I would think it will clean off... but you created a new situation. Did you ever stir it?

I think Hand Tool Rescue had a video showing what he found encrusted on a part he let soak for many months. I’ll try to find it.

Thats weird! Usually Evaporust usually works in a few hours, I've never had to leave anything soak for more than a day. Maybe the parts were just in too long?

De-rusting times really come down to the depth of the rusting. Even with small parts like this and a fresh batch of Evapo-Rust, it took a couple of days for the rust to dissolve:

View attachment 458130
The crusty front hub parts are now in Evapo-Rust. I’ll come back tomorrow to see how they’re doing.

I've encountered sludge buildup with parts that have had minimal amount of bluing left on them. I guess it could also be because of impurities in the alloy etc.

Back