Evaporust goo!?!?

So I do know there were some blued parts in that batch. I didn't mean to leave them in there that long. I knew they were not going to be damaged so I left them in there while I did other stuff. I also know it works slower when cold so I added more time for that too.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

not enough time to watch a video right now.
But why would someone leave something in evapo rust for 3years? Did he forget about it?
Yes.

In the video, he states that one of the chemicals is sulfur compounds. Then he dissolves the leftover chunks and the evaporust still works. Except it leaves a gooey which substance that looks a lot like not quite dissolved sulfur. Maybe that is what is on the OPs 123 block.

You should see what it does to cheesy import parallel clamp screws after a few months..........

I've never left anything in evaporust more than a couple of days. What I HAVE done is mix vinegar to speed up the process. Hey, if a little is good, a little more is better, right? Wrong, what I ended up with was a substance, literally as thick as cold molasses. Still using it, apparently it didn't hurt the way it works, just takes forever to pour. Down to the last quart or so, thank goodness!

I've never left anything in evaporust more than a couple of days. What I HAVE done is mix vinegar to speed up the process. Hey, if a little is good, a little more is better, right? Wrong, what I ended up with was a substance, literally as thick as cold molasses. Still using it, apparently it didn't hurt the way it works, just takes forever to pour. Down to the last quart or so, thank goodness!
I like Evaporust for cleaning rust and I use the heavy concentration vinegar for cleaning mill scale off of metal and pre-paint prep. Never thought to mix the 2 though....

Evaporust is a multi-part concoction. It has transporter intermediates (so-called sulfur bearing compound), a receptor (tannic acid, sort of a mat of charged structures), stabilizers/buffers for pH, and probably some antioxidants for the hell of it. Best not to mess with it by spiking it with whatever you think will give it a kick. If an overnight soak isn't enough for your part, then it's time to consider other methods of rust removal. Hopefully that yellow stuff isn't bacteria, but it sure is within the realm of possibilities. It's not elemental sulfur, that's not possible without electricity- it would be like getting solid sodium metal from a bowl of seawater, it ain't happenin'.

Evaporust is a multi-part concoction. It has transporter intermediates (so-called sulfur bearing compound), a receptor (tannic acid, sort of a mat of charged structures), stabilizers/buffers for pH, and probably some antioxidants for the hell of it. Best not to mess with it by spiking it with whatever you think will give it a kick. If an overnight soak isn't enough for your part, then it's time to consider other methods of rust removal. Hopefully that yellow stuff isn't bacteria, but it sure is within the realm of possibilities. It's not elemental sulfur, that's not possible without electricity- it would be like getting solid sodium metal from a bowl of seawater, it ain't happenin'.
Just a few house hold cleaners mixed in the right proportions could help you discover if your religiosity is real or theoretical....

Back