Evaporust goo!?!?

Just don’t soak dividers or calipers with the spring steel band at the top in evaporust. The spring steel will fall apart in pieces. Some thing about hydrogen embrittlement. What a way to ruin a nice pair of dividers.

I left a 3 jaw chuck in for over a year . Forgot all about it and it came out looking like that . Haven't touched it since . :grin:

Just don’t soak dividers or calipers with the spring steel band at the top in evaporust. The spring steel will fall apart in pieces. Some thing about hydrogen embrittlement. What a way to ruin a nice pair of dividers.
nope.. that's a wives tail. I did a test when mmcmdl said that. No change. I was able to bend the spring steel without it snapping like Dave thought would happen.

nope.. that's a wives tail. I did a test when mmcmdl said that. No change. I was able to bend the spring steel without it snapping like Dave thought would happen.
I ruined dividers and shim sets in the past . They completely fell apart . I should say feeler gage sets . ;)

yea, no. I'm calling you out on that one. I don't have evapo rust right now. But I'm not buying that. I don't think it was evapo rust.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem right. Vinegar yea, Evapo Rust.. no.

yea, no. I'm calling you out on that one. I don't have evapo rust right now. But I'm not buying that. I don't think it was evapo rust.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem right. Vinegar yea, Evapo Rust.. no.
I know it seams odd , but I was not happy pulling out pieces of a divider out of evaporust. It was just the spring band at the top that went to pieces. The rest of the divider was fine. No story.

Back