Extension cord

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Where I wish to use my PM 1228 I'm about 12' short from the power outlet. What gauge of wire do I need to do a 15-20' extension cord for 110v 20 amps? thank you.

Not an electrician, but house wiring is 14 gauge for 15 amps, 12 gauge for 20 amps and 10 gauge for 30 amps. Looks like a 12 gauge should work fine for you.

Bruce

I would use 12, but 14 is probably fine for a 20ft cord. I suspect the current draw will often be well below 20A.

Thank you gentlemen.

Stick with 12 GA. Technically by, NEC rules, 12 ga. SO, SEEW, type of cord is only good for 15 amps for 12 ga. and 25 amps for 10 Ga.. But that's based on full continuous loads. You should be good with 12 ga. for intermitting loads. Always make it a rule of safety, to unplug the cord when not in use. Ken

Stick with 12 GA. Technically by, NEC rules, 12 ga. SO, SEEW, type of cord is only good for 15 amps for 12 ga. and 25 amps for 10 Ga.. But that's based on full continuous loads. You should be good with 12 ga. for intermitting loads. Always make it a rule of safety, to unplug the cord when not in use. Ken
Thank you, good to know.

The problem with extension cords is the connections. Make sure the receptacle is tight and the female end on the cord is tight.

Table 400.5(A)(1) 25/20 amps for 12 AWG cords dependent upon 2 or 3 current carrying conductors,respectively.

Last edited:
The problem with extension cords is the connections. Make sure the receptacle is tight and the female end on the cord is tight.

Table 400.5(A)(1) 25/20 amps for 12 AWG cords dependent upon 2 or 3 current carrying conductors,respectively.
I generally go one size up on gauge verse amps from standard for extension cords to be extra safe. I've seen a cord or two that were hot from running to the max on amperage. This was on 460v 3-ph, too. Way too uncomfortable for me! Like I said, better safe than sorry.

And I agree 110% on connections. Don't skimp on using good quality connectors. Use the one's that you insert the wire under a flat rectangular washer and secure with a good heavy screw. Make sure the wires are secured and trapped under and sides by the terminal.
The cord connectors you get cheap at Harbor Freight are not good enough in my shop. Also the blades of the connector must hold tight with the plug with little movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest getting a UL listed cord that is rated for at least the same amperage as the circuit breaker that feeds the outlet that you will be plugging it into. An extension cord’s rating is based on more than wire size alone. ymmv

Tom

All good suggestions thank you. I do have experience with loose plugs. I have spent some time up grading my garage from ONE, and only 1, 2 plug receptacle. EVERYTHING was on extension cords, which is where I was rolling on the ground to drain the compressor tank, it kicked on, my leg was on the plug in, and it arced real bad before the GFI tripped.

So now I have the original outlet, plus 4 quad outlets, 3 x 4 bulb florescent, 3 x 2 bulb florescents, and 2 x 220 50 amp, and 1 220 100 amp plug ins. With new breaker boxes.

Last edited:
Back