Eye safety when I need reading glasses?

I bought some prescription safety glasses from my optometrist. I explained how they were to be used. She specified the strength and location of the reading part. Very satisfied. I still use some different prescription graduated reading glasses for reading and some drug store cheapos on occasion when I can't bend my neck back far enough to see what I am doing.
I will use plain goggles or shield over my good safety glasses sometimes when grinding or spraying to keep them clean.
I also use my good safety glasses when playing pickleball. They are great!

PYRAMEX SG7910D15 Pyramex Clear Safety Reader Glasses, Scratch-Resistant,Gray Frame
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E5NXH6M/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HK7GFbPMYHVRH
I must own 5 pairs of these. Use them inside when reading and in the shop. I love them. They are 1.50 reading glasses and have big wide lenses for easy unobstructed vision. Other reading magnifications are available. About 9.00 on Amazon.

I grew up with one parent totally blind, from childhood. It was only when I started school that I discovered that more folks weren't blind. Until then, I thought that some people could see and some couldn't and that was the normal state of affairs. It has made me very aware of my own vision. Safety glasses have been on my list even before I enlisted.

When I started wearing prescription safety glasses in the steel mill, one pair of bifocals became very dear to me. They got "welding spatter" on them and I continued to use them until they were no longer strong enough. There was the normal "bifocal" setup where distance was on top and reading below. Along the very top edge was also a sliver of the reading lens. It was for reading when I was lying on my back under a control panel. I had a narrow vertical field of clear vision for reading wire numbers. Since leaving the mill, I have tried to have them replaced with my stronger prescription. To no avail; the grinders persist in putting the entire reading lens on top, effectively making them useless. Eventually I gave up and found what would work.

I generally wear my street glasses while working. The "safety" glasses tend to be excessively heavy. I have a narrow nose, some would call it "sharp". In hot environments, the glasses are constantly sliding down my nose from sweat. A "torch goggle" serves quite well with a clear lens. Not the sort where a separate shield is over each eye. They are a large rectangular shape with a 2x4 inch lens. They fit over my street glasses and although heavy, are wide enough to stay in place.

A welding hood is self explanatory, the torch goggles are often worn in place of a hood for casual use of a welder. Just a darker lens for welding. I had "blue" glasses on my hard hat, for working around the electric furnaces. I've found the torch goggles with a welding lens to be more effective there. The side and bottom shields are far better than the typical side shields on safety glasses. Under OSHA regulations, a piece of plastic slid unto the ear pieces is all that they require. When some office dweeb comes out on the mill floor, that is often what they wear. They meet OSHA standards, but that's all. Around hot metal, such a shield will melt off in a couple of days. Hot metal spatters are more like welding than grinding. The hot metal will often bounce off what it first hits. The underside needs protection just like the sides.

You can get "press on add" you can put anywhere. Some people (plumbers) put them at top of glasses for looking over head. I put them in my welding helmet. They're cheap, use static cling so they can be moved, washed and reinstalled. I actually have a bunch in my shop for people interested, I think they're +2.00 which is a pretty decent bump..great for shooting too. Put them (just one) where you need it to see scope etc and a hair above, see distance.

I use standard safety glasses that come with a built in lens area same numbering as drugstore readers. I have a couple of different number ones depending on how close I need to work.

Would be my first choice / recommendation if you don't need a custom prescription. Cheap-ish and easily available online.

I used http://www.safetyglasses.com/

I get prescription glasses with the reading part on the bottom and the top. That way you don’t have to tilt your head way back to see what the chuck on your lathe is doing while you are trying to pull up on the lever that takes it out of gear.

I have had my optometrist make these for me for years. They have a name but I can’t recall what it is. In fact I have to pick up my new pair tomorrow. This time I had them made with the top reading portion focus just a little farther out than the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you aren't the type who breaks or misplaces things like this, then I would go to your optometrist for a real pair of ANZI Z89.1 safety glasses. Lots of people wear them for 40 hours a week.

“Double seg” is what those glasses are called. I’ve worn them for years and love them. That’s what I was trying to think of. When you’re over 70 the mind tends to go away!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back