facing the end of a pipe

Jeez guys! Doing this kind of stuff in a three jaw is a good way to ruin your day and then some!
That should be in a four jaw. No way will you have the support you need in a three jaw on larger diameter stuff especially using the inside jaws with its little contact.
Throw it in a four jaw Please!!!!!!

If the pipe is just 5" long,
1) maybe use a faceplate instead of a chuck, using some angle brackets.
2) or do it on a mill.
Greg

I thought about using my mill, but the vise doesn't open side enough.

Ground is the correct past tense of grind. Grinded or grounded are incorrect. I'm not being picky here. Just answering your question.

Ha! I really was curious. For some reason I got it in my head that it was some sort of jargon to use "grinded" for metal. It is "ground". That concludes today's English lesson.

Jeez guys! Doing this kind of stuff in a three jaw is a good way to ruin your day and then some!
That should be in a four jaw. No way will you have the support you need in a three jaw on larger diameter stuff especially using the inside jaws with its little contact.
Throw it in a four jaw Please!!!!!!

I got a brand new 4-jaw that came with the lathe. It's still in the original grease paper. Might be time to whip that bad boy out.

I think they say "done grinded" in West Virginia. "I done grinded them valve seats. You check them points, uh-hrr?"

Most 4-jaw (independent) chucks have reversible jaws, so you done best get to degreasing that chuck! If you can hold it, you can machine it!

Back