FCC opened a case against CenturyLink

I got Starlink in late February. Sort of. The new dish they have built does not include an ethernet connection, it is WiFi only. We have actual, old fashion desktop computers (by preference) and a wired network. To get a wired network, Starlink requires you to buy a $20 adapter, and then you need your own home router. The $20 adapter has been on back order, supposeably shipping this week. So I've had to continue to pay for HughesNet. I have been using the Starlink for wireless devices. It needs a broad field of view as it tracks satellites as they pass (a major reason for the expense). I'm going to mount the dish on a 25' high pole as soon as the adapter arrives, as we have a lot of trees in the yard. Then fiber between buildings and a couple of VLAN capable switches, and I'll be set. Hopefully.

Monthly cost has been raised (just recently) to I believe $115.

Great information! Thank you. The tech just arrived at my house, I hope I don't have to switch to Starlink but it is an option.

I have always run a hardwired network to all of my desktops and media devices. 20 years ago WiFi was WAY too flakey, back when there was only the 2.4 A band, everything was flakey and I wired my house with cat 5. I use a linksys router which I have flashed with OpenWrt. OpenWrt gives me a LOT more control and monitoring capabilities of my internet connection. When my internet connection is not having problems I put the Centurylink router in pass through mode then run a PPP connection on my Linksys router which makes the Centurylink router a dumb device with no routing and no WiFi responsibilities. The old Centurylink routers would overload and have to be rebooted periodically when they were used as a router, putting them in passthrough mode eliminated all of that.

One of the boats, not under cover, uses the Starlink and claim to be getting 300MB download. Which is pretty good in my opinion. When we lived in California and had Comcast, we were getting close to 30GB download. But I am told that it was unusual. With the Wifi we have now we are int he 250KB range for downloads and often much lower. A real pain when you look at the security my signal has to go through Boeing puts up for me to work from home. Too often I have to use my Verizon phone as a tether and we pay for extra (15GB) per month as it doesn't take much to burn through this if you have to use it for more than a few days a month. Suppose to carry over any unused but doesn't seem like we get the full amount and it is only good for the next month and doesn't carry over into subsequent months.

Currently looking at Grants Pass general area for retirement, with some land around us. Most likely will be on Starlink. But not sure what may be available in the area and specific to the home that we eventually buy. Will know either end of this year or beginning of next.

I had century linkless and got rid of them...
"Century Linkless..." I love that, and it's true.
We had them for years (just internet and phone) and the bill got outrageous along with the service. Due to a computer crash I had to re-install MS Office, including Outlook for my email. Century Linkless refused to let me have access to Outlook emails, contacts and such unless I paid for a faster more expensive service. Just phone and internet were already at $92 a month; the service they wanted me to buy would have put it well over $100!
I called Spectrum. They brought out Time Warner, and straightened up the horrible rates and service there. They hooked me up in 3 days for less than $70 a month. And yes I know the rate will probably go up, but name me something that isn't going to cost more.

My new temporary Internet / DSL cable strung through the trees until Centurylink can install a new underground cable:
MPS03218_retouched.jpg

Less than 24hrs after the FCC informed me they were opening a case against Centurylink for me on my behalf. I did agree to pay a $150 charge to have the new cable installed in the ground by Centurylink. No charge for the temporary cable.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
around here, you are responsible for the line from the pole to your house unless you pay for their service.
150 is cheap... that would cost me a fortune... I have the power running in the same ditch... :rolleyes:

Around here once the phone service is in service the repair of the line is the responsibility of the phone company. But it is up to the customer to provide a path.

$150 is not bad for a new line. Did the temporary line solve the problem?

around here, you are responsible for the line from the pole to your house unless you pay for their service.
150 is cheap... that would cost me a fortune... I have the power running in the same ditch... :rolleyes:
I am incredibly happy to only pay $150 to get the line replaced! I couldn't even rent a trencher for that much.

Around here once the phone service is in service the repair of the line is the responsibility of the phone company. But it is up to the customer to provide a path.

$150 is not bad for a new line. Did the temporary line solve the problem?

The temporary line definitely solved the problem. No errors or retrans on either of the two bonded DSL lines in the 18 hours since it went it. S/N also increased. Before the temp line only one of the two bonded DSL lines would come up (after the last rain) so I was working half speed at best. I went from under 4Mb/s to 10Mb/s, a huge improvement!

Last edited:
Back