File and rasp storage.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, Brino your photos showing loose handles remind me how crappy all of the handles I've purchased. They all seem imprecise--either too loose or too tight. What's the secret to finding Goldilocks handles that fit just right?

I like the wooden ones with the hardened threaded insert.
They screw on to the file soft shank, stay put during use, but are still removable/swap-able.
Also, they come in numbered sizes, so you need different ones for different size file tangs.

-brino

At the risk of hijacking this thread, Brino your photos showing loose handles remind me how crappy all of the handles I've purchased. They all seem imprecise--either too loose or too tight. What's the secret to finding Goldilocks handles that fit just right?
I recently bought a bunch of file handles, and the instructions said to heat the tang of the file with a torch and drive it in with a mallet. I'd never done the part with the torch, maybe that's the trick...?

I like the wooden ones with the hardened threaded insert.
They screw on to the file soft shank, stay put during use, but are still removable/swap-able.
Also, they come in numbered sizes, so you need different ones for different size file tangs.

-brino
Brino,
Thanks. I've seen those, but balked at the price. Do they go on straight? (Another pet peeve of mine is crooked file handles).

Pontiac,
I have not burned handles on. It should work--it's how a lot of Japanese knives are handled--maybe I'll give it a shot.

Evan

File handle prices seem to go from "higher and I expected" to "you gotta be kidding!" Somewhere I saw a picture of some files with golf balls for handles. I bought a box of "recycled" golf balls from eBay. It took a bit to get used to the spherical handles, but after that I like them.

I go to the dollar store and buy putty knives. Pull out the blades. Then use a center drill to give a start point in the middle of the "smile" on the putty knife handle. Heat the file tang with a torch and push it on.

As for storage ... no brilliant solutions that I've been able to come up with :(

You're job's not done. Where do the riffler files go? No file drawer is complete without those.

Edit: No thread files, either. You'll need them eventually on farm equipment.

I give up, what is a riffler file??

Ah, not knowing is a valid explanation as to why they're not accompanying your needle file set. They're the diemaker's file for doing slow, precise detail work. They can be a lifesaver, or they can gather dust. Mostly I'm just teasing you about bells and whistles you don't need... or do you?:laughing:
vallorberiffler150filescatgroup0117a_cmyk.jpg

Back