File and rasp storage.

The cheap magnetic tool holders from Harbor Freight work great for holding files. Easy to see and easy to grab.
1582160864228.png

The cheap magnetic tool holders from Harbor Freight work great for holding files. Easy to see and easy to grab.

Do you see any hint of the files getting magnetized?
I'd hate for the fine cuttings to start sticking to the files......
-brino

Ah, not knowing is a valid explanation as to why they're not accompanying your needle file set. They're the diemaker's file for doing slow, precise detail work. They can be a lifesaver, or they can gather dust. Mostly I'm just teasing you about bells and whistles you don't need... or do you?:laughing:

Hey pontiac, you blew it, man! We could have filled this thread with descriptions of rifflers, as in gear rifflers and spindle rifflers and riffler adapters for boring heads and such. Each riffler would require a different profile to file it, which is why these files come in sets. We have to take these things on when opportunity knocks, right? ;)

Just kidding around, finsruskw ...

I have cut slots in wood for custom file storage (no pictures, I'm about 1000 miles away from there). I sized the length of the wood to the length of the files (all 8" files in one holder, all 10" files in another holder, ect). I attached a piece of sheet aluminum to the bottom of the wood. The aluminum is bent up at 90° at both ends with the wood placed equidistant from the bent ends. The distance between the wood and the bent end is sufficient for the file handles to fit. I load files into the slotted wooden block alternating handle at the left, handle at the right, to increase the volumetric efficiency. In summary, the aluminum base make the whole thing portable, the bent (up) ends keep the files from sliding out of their slots and the wooden block is inexpensive and easy to customize with a table saw. This is a classic example of a picture would save 1000 words. Sorry folks.

My current preferred method is to use aluminum heatsink extrusions to organize files. The extrusions are available in a wide range of pitch and height dimensions. I have cut 1" strips of the extrusion for larger sizes (2 x 1" strips for 10" files rather than 10" of extrusion). If the pitch is too small to fit a file, just cut out one fin. I use a base made from aluminum sheet, similar to that described above.

Do you see any hint of the files getting magnetized?
I'd hate for the fine cuttings to start sticking to the files......
-brino
That is a valid concern, which is why I quit using magnets very much around my machines, but I haven't noticed any filings sticking to the files.

Wow!!
And here I thought it had something to do with a rifle! :grin:

Back