Fims # 4 toolpost

I just figured out that this really, really nice tool post I got with my new to me 17x60 is a FIMS. The label was gone. Interesting tool post. After I spent some time with it, I realized it's in fantastic shape under 20 years of oil and dust. I'm going to introduce it to Mr. Stoddard and his brother Solvent, let them spend some time together then do a complete clean.

The five tool holders I got with it are mixed. They're going to need some chemical TLC and a reblue. There are a pair of versatile lathe bit holders, both commercial. I didn't recognize F-I-M-S as a maker's mark, looks more like an alphanumeric lot code because the S looks like a 5. Seemed greek to me. There is an Aloris CA that looks modified for the height screw slot and thread. I'll have to take another look at the dovetail. There is also a combination .750 boring bar holder/drill chuck holder. Why anyone would want a dead drill chuck on the tool post baffles me. It was set up with a junk chuck that I'm probably going to chuck. I'm missing one, but it's another type of lathe clamp.

Logically, I am going to need a parting blade holder right away. I'm thinking about just ordering stock and making my own on the mill. Gives me an excuse to buy a heavier dovetail cutter. This CA stuff, and all the 17" tooling is really big, heavy, and cool. I should be able to power through that stuff on the heavy Lagun for all the stock removal needed to make these things, but until now I've really kept my mill work down to 1/2" end mills and smaller. Other than facing and surfacing, I'm not equipped for big hogging. Guess I'd better get some fat end mills in the quiver, too.

I have a FIMS post and 20 or so holders , #4 also . They are nice and mine will be residing on the 16" Republic . I did go down and buy the post years back as this thread says . The holders turn up on the bay sometimes if you need them . :) I will check my set downstairs , if I have doubles/triples of any holders I'll take a few pics and put them on here . :big grin:

Here's a blade holder !

Here's a blade holder !

Well that was easy! If you find you have an extra lathe bit holder or two, I'd be happy to help reduce your shop clutter. My time is better spent cleaning up and setting up at the moment, so I won't be burning a Saturday making tool holders until winter at least.

So here is the tool post:
IMAG1396.jpgIMAG1398.jpg

I should have used a soda can for scale. Makes my AXA stuff look like Fisher-Price.

Below are the tool holders and the other stuff that came in the chip tray. The most important piece is the spindle to MT4 adapter, glad that was there! Other than being dirty and a little rusty, they have no signs of abuse. I'm glad that I got this post with the lathe, it seems rock solid and I don't need to go out and buy one now.
IMAG1394.jpgIMAG1395.jpg

Edit: It did come with an Aloris CX holder. It's a little bit larger in the dovetail than the FIMS by maybe 1/16. Probably too loose to be rigid. At least somebody tried.

The CAs are big and the CXAs are too small for the #4 FIMS . I tried but not worth the effort to make them fit . :grin: Looks like you picked up the blade holder as it is GONE ! :laughing: Yep , that's a FIMS for sure .

I have a #2 (axa size) on my sb9 which I like a great deal. Didn't come with any tool holders so I made a bunch of my own. Speaking of which, I need to make some more..

@pontiac428 Armstrong holders also fit the FIMS FYI . You will need to drill and tap the height screw hole thru though . ;)

FIMS #4 set and my remaining Aloris CXAs . I'll post the CXAs soon .

Attachments

• IMG_9434.JPG
    IMG_9434.JPG
    370.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9435.JPG
    IMG_9435.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9436.JPG
    IMG_9436.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9437.JPG
    IMG_9437.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 18
I have a #4 and 5 holders.
Now the problem is only lathes I own is south bend 9A and just recent ( in restoration/ peices) south bend 10L
This #4 is deff to big.
I could use the money and just sell it...
Or horde it until the inevitable time comes.when I upgrade my machines swing capabilities with a 3rd larger swing machine. ?:)

Back