Finally starting... let the adventure begin.

Taking shape, going to be a really great shop once it isn't a storage shed. Could be a blessing given the cost of materials. Maybe by the time you get more heavily into the build, some of the prices will be coming down some.

With mom and dad moving in until we can build their house, money and time have been tight. But there was a half pallet of 2x4s left over after framing. So I got a little done. Starting on wiring and AC tooView attachment 414312View attachment 414313
Seems like a lot of life has happened since you started this thread.

Caring for elderly parents is definitely a challenge but one I'm sure you're up to. I was lucky to have inherited (partially) a home that was built for accessibility with wide doors and barrier free in a good climate. My shop here is packed full in a 1 car garage but I can still have fun with it.

Looks like you're doing about the same, best of luck and keep us up on the progress as you go.

John

Life has a way of happening at it's own pace. Good to see you're getting some time to spend on your hobbies. Building a new shop is huge endeavor, hopefully it progresses smoothly for you. Getting the AC working is the right start in Georgia :)

Life has a way of happening at it's own pace. Good to see you're getting some time to spend on your hobbies. Building a new shop is huge endeavor, hopefully it progresses smoothly for you. Getting the AC working is the right start in Georgia :)
AC is definitely a priority... It's been 90s almost every day with humidity making it feel like 100+. My wife authorized buying Mr Cool Minisplits in an effort to keep mom and dads stuff (which is being stored in the shop) from getting messed up by the heat. Thankfully, I insulated the shop back when we started, so it isn't too bad in there.

That will be a huge benefit when it is a shop again. When I lived in Antioch CA the summers were brutal. I could work in the shop/garage up to about 11AM and after 8 or 9 PM. In between was just too hot even with a fan going.

Have you had time to make any progress on your shop?

I have actually, at least a little. We had some 2x4 studs left over from farming mom & dad's house, so I framed up the office area (just realized the pics I posted were the same as the ones I did earlier, so will delete and put up new ones soon.)

I put in a MrCool 36k btu minisplit in the corner of the main area, and a second 18k btu minisplit with two 9k heads, one to th office and one to the welding grinding area. These seem to do a good job keeping it at ~ 80 degrees (I could keep it cooler easily, but why spend the $$$$ when I'm not even out there) Mr Cool minisplits are an easy self-install if anyone is interested. I got an electrician to help with the breaker wiring of the first one, but didn't bother with the second one - very easy to do.

I also have hung the rafters over the office, and I've run some 20 amp outlet circuits.

Once the stuff I'm storing for Mom and Dad is out, I can put in the lights. I'm planning on UFO style Hi-bay LED lights. Getting conflicting info on how many and power. The ceiling is ~ 14 ft at the edges and ~ 18ft at the center. Leaning toward 100W 14,000 lumen units or 150w 20,000 lumen units. Any thoughts on this?

With any luck, mom and dad will be able to move into their new house by the end of October. (And get their stuff out of my shop!)

Last edited:
I’m running about 45 lumens per sq ft, using 8’ LED tubes. Seems about right for general shop lighting. A few key benches a bit more lighting is good

Last edited:
There's a "lighting calculator" on one of the sites. For 50 Fc, it looks like with 100w bulbs I need 10-12, and with 150w I need 6-8. Since they are very close to the same price, will probably go with the 150W.

I don't like the real blue light like they have in sams club - too harsh. I think those are 5000k, so leaning toward 4000k. They have one 3500k, which might be better for me...

Back