Finally starting... let the adventure begin.

I'll add that one benefit of the tube lights, especially with three parallel rows, is that they really diffuse the shadows. I would think the smaller, brighter lights would tend to cause more shadowing issue, but probably a bit easier to install.

Thats good to know. The main problem with the linear array lights is that they are about 10-20% more expensive, for hi-bays, and if you go to strip lighting, it is even more expensive because you need more of them for the same illumination. I think I'm going to have to do this in steps. Put in a a couple of hi-bay ufo style lights in the center of each bay, then re-eval, and either add task lighting or more high bays as needed.

I used the 150w high bay lights installed at 12 feet. The 5000k is a lovely daylight color. Hotter (6000k) temps get harsh and blue, kinda clinical and nightmarish. Lower temps (4500k) are nice and warm, more what you would want inside the house.

I'm lighting 24x40' with 12 lights. Great for the main bay, but I just got three more for the machine shop corner. It is just a bit too shadowy for the visual intensity of machining and inspecting. So I'm fixing that. Really happy with the lights, though, after 2 years I still love it when I power on the shop lights.

I used the 150w high bay lights installed at 12 feet. The 5000k is a lovely daylight color. Hotter (6000k) temps get harsh and blue, kinda clinical and nightmarish. Lower temps (4500k) are nice and warm, more what you would want inside the house.

I'm lighting 24x40' with 12 lights. Great for the main bay, but I just got three more for the machine shop corner. It is just a bit too shadowy for the visual intensity of machining and inspecting. So I'm fixing that. Really happy with the lights, though, after 2 years I still love it when I power on the shop lights.
Your 150w high bays are about 20-22,000 lumens? What is the beam angle? That's a lot more lights than I was expecting. There's a lighting calculator on 1000bulbs that suggests just eight 150w / 22,000 lumen lights for my 70x40 shop.

I have a 'normal' 2 car garagte. I have a ring of 4' single line LED "tubes" 4000 lumens each. 4 to a side, about 5' from the outside perimeter. In the centre, I have 4 - 4' X 2' LED panels for general lightiong, and an extra LED 4' "tube" over each machine tool. 22 4' "tubes, and 4 panels.

Your 150w high bays are about 20-22,000 lumens? What is the beam angle? That's a lot more lights than I was expecting. There's a lighting calculator on 1000bulbs that suggests just eight 150w / 22,000 lumen lights for my 70x40 shop.

About right:

81mXJdiwwpL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I work up lighting recommendations in industrial space as one of my areas at work. I use the IESNA lighting guide. I am currently getting 26 foot-candles, which is good for a machine shop floor. I am trying to get a little closer to 50 foot-candles in my 12x15 machine shop in the corner of my building. Turns out 30-50 FC is better for machine part inspection and fine visual tasks, so I just took receipt of 3 more lamps, two for the machine shop and one for a spare/to be determined.

I would go no less than 25 FC for a general automotive bay. You can use task lighting at your machines and workbenches to supplement the overhead. I'm almost happy with 26 FC, but want a little more light for the work I do. The coverage of these lights is very good at 10 feet spacing. The power meter sings at a high whine as the dials go round. It's worth it.

Back