FIRE!!!

Senna

Deceased
Rest In Peace
Last night my oil furnace malfunctioned and set my garage /shop afire.
I noticed it while it was still small and grabbed the extinguisher but it didn't work.
At this point I decided to just get myself out while I still could.
Called 911 and waited helplessly for them to arrive.
By the time the FD got there the fire was through the roof.
I'll see what my insurance adjuster says but the only real tragedy was avoided and nobody was hurt.

Get those fire extinguishers checked and replaced.

That's terrible. How much damage? Now you'll find out how good your insurance is.

I feel for you. At least there was no lives etc, just things. The fire extinguishers are checked at the shop yearly and replaced every 5-6 yrs.
Our company guidelines are when fire occurs, sound the alarm, exit and count heads at the assembly point.
Pierre

Glad you're OK Ken. A good reminder to check your heating equipment as well. It is that time of year.

After reading another story like this last year, I also keep a couple three gallon jugs of water handy---just in case.
I did get all 5 extinguishers serviced this year.

Senna,
The most important part is that you and your family are safe and uninjured. Stuff can always be replaced, people on the other hand are a bit more difficult. Hope they get you all fixed up and back to work again as soon as possible, This is the prime project time of the year for me and it would throw me into a deep funk if I had to sit it out waiting on the Insurance adjuster to sign off on a paper. Holler if you need any help dealing with them and any help with anything else. I am sure someone is close enough to help you out if you get into a jamb.

Bob

That's one thing I dread. I try to keep the shop pretty much fireproof, with no combustible materials left around, but it's impossible to do 100%. Fire extinguishers are an absolute must, in the shop and house. They have saved many a life, and who knows how much trouble and money.

Glad no injuries. Now the patience has to carry you. Hope your insurance is enough to get you back to where you want to be.

I'm glad you and your family are ok. I was a firefighter when I lived in Australia and many people were underinsured. I hope your insurance company comes through.

If my garage burns down I will be able to buy better machines than I started with. I have seen too many horror stories personally to not be over-insured.

Keep us posted on how things turn out. I wish you the best in this situation as some things have sentimental value that money can't replace.

Paul.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, glad no one was hurt.

Now for some reason I have a hankering to listen to that one hit wonder band "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown".......

Back