FIRE!!!

Arghhh...
Ken give a shout if there is anything I can do to help! Sometime a couple extra hands can be very helpful.

Daryl
MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep a full bottle of co2 outside the shop door piped in with copper pipe...in case of fire, close door, open valve hope for the best

Last night my oil furnace malfunctioned and set my garage /shop afire.
I noticed it while it was still small and grabbed the extinguisher but it didn't work.
At this point I decided to just get myself out while I still could.
Called 911 and waited helplessly for them to arrive.
By the time the FD got there the fire was through the roof.
I'll see what my insurance adjuster says but the only real tragedy was avoided and nobody was hurt.

Get those fire extinguishers checked and replaced.

Again Sorry for loss, glad you made it out safely. Hopefully you will be back in business soon.

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes. I sincerely appreciate them all.

I'm meeting the insurance adjuster today at 11:00 and we'll see how that goes.

I had a lot of machinery in there and a whole lot of expensive fixtures and accessories.

Many of my accessories hit the ground when the firemen broke through the smaller of my two overhead doors and toppled the large table holding them. These include a Japanese rotary table, a dividing head, and many grinding fixtures. These are all expensive and I hope I don't have to justify the cost of these to the adjuster.

Strangely enough, one rather inexpensive item (I paid $125) destroyed is causing me the most pain so far. This was a 24" Vernac scale for a vintage DRO type system. This was destined for my 9J mill. I was extremely lucky to find this one and I don't think I'll find another one.

I also did some research on smoke damage to electric motors and the conclusion is that motors and smoke do not mix. Not to mention the heat way up there near the roof where most motors live.

I'll keep the forum informed of the results of the adjuster visit.

You're right, smoke and motors do not mix. Especially any brushed motors. Smoke residue is basically carbon, and is conductive. There can be a high resistance path to ground through the housing and frame of the motor and cause many weird problems even if the residue seems trivial. I would want to get m hands on a megger to check them before putting them in use. If you do find they are damaged, all is not lost, however. Before powering them up, get some electrical wash and hose them down. You will probably need to open them up if they are not TEFC motors. Those I wouldn't worry about with smoke damage. Any open frame or brush motors are subject to damage though.

Hope your adjuster is having a good Monday morning. Stand your ground with him on stuff.....and be ready to provide documentation of replacement costs and have another meeting if needed.

Smoke damage is bad enough, but the heat damage can be worse. Some tools look perfectly fine but many will have lost their temper and turn soft as mush when you go to use them. Good luck with your adjuster.

Marcel

The adjuster was very nice and professional but he has no idea as to the valuation of any of my stuff.
He's calling in a professional fire damage assessment team like Servicemaster or its ilk.
Looks like I'll be spending a day or three in there with these guys going over everything I have.
The adjuster says the garage itself is a total loss but the saga continues on the contents.

Ken,
Please keep us posted.
Let us know if there is anything we can do.
Perhaps you can get a floor poured in the pole barn!
Then move the survivors over there.

Daryl
MN

The adjuster was very nice and professional but he has no idea as to the valuation of any of my stuff.
He's calling in a professional fire damage assessment team like Servicemaster or its ilk.
Looks like I'll be spending a day or three in there with these guys going over everything I have.
The adjuster says the garage itself is a total loss but the saga continues on the contents.
That's good, mostly. You are gonna have to stay sharp however. They will most likely inventory every piece, one by one. You might max out your contents coverage unless you had a special rider out for your tools. Your average generic homeowners policy has contents coverage set as a percentage of the value of your home on the policy. Find out what your contents coverage is and also if you have a "replacement cost" policy. Your garage may also be listed as an "out building" on your policy which might also limit your coverage. Call your agent or read your policy and get the particulars of your policy so that you can position yourself.

Marcel

That's good, mostly. You are gonna have to stay sharp however. They will most likely inventory every piece, one by one. You might max out your contents coverage unless you had a special rider out for your tools. Your average generic homeowners policy has contents coverage set as a percentage of the value of your home on the policy. Find out what your contents coverage is and also if you have a "replacement cost" policy. Your garage may also be listed as an "out building" on your policy which might also limit your coverage. Call your agent or read your policy and get the particulars of your policy so that you can position yourself.

Marcel

$119,000 on content so I should be good there. No cars were damaged. It is replacement cost for content.

Only $17.090 on the structure itself however.

I'll have to use Logix ICF's (free from my parents and brother who are the regional head honchoes for Logix) and call in some concrete favors to build new for that but I think it can be done. I'm thinking SIP's for the roof panels with ICF to the peak. Clean space inside from floor to roof with no supports or rafters.

Back