First Lathe

Well I got it home!!
It is a 10F. TH54. Had a set of 8 change gears. 4 jaw chuck. We looked all over for a 3 jaw but couldn't find it. Has quite a bit of tooling. Has a newer 1/2 HP motor. The power feed will run the the left but not the right. It was used as a wood lathe so it is gummed up a bit. I think some TLC and I'm in business. They threw is an old hand made level her father made and a very nice Nye pipe vise all for $455.
Overall it was a very worthwhile trip. Once I get it all unloaded I will post a few pictures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220702-161203_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220702-161203_Gallery.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 13
He already has a mill/drill. Look at the far right side of the picture. If you are going to mount the lathe on the bench it is sitting on I would put the headstock over the legs at the left end of the bench.

There was a communication breakdown between me and the seller over the bench that the lathe was bolted to. She wanted to keep it until I got there and then she said I could have it. I had no way to bring it home at the time. I sent her a text message this morning that I would come and pick up the bench if she still wanted to get rid of it.

Finally found time to put together a table. It rolls nicely and has a lot of room. Now I need some advice on some tooling. I cut down a piece of 4 1/2 inch pipe last night and figured out I might want something with carbide inserts. Any suggestions??20220723_193754.jpg20220723_204432.jpg

You do not have enough power or speed for carbide.
Refer to the HSS grinding thread in the beginners section.
Lose the casters,also.

Congrats on the new lathe, that's a great deal!

I'd suggest a SCLCR holder and a pack of CCGT inserts to start with. Then keep your eyes open for HSS blanks to grind your own cutters if need be. Might even be some in that box of tooling

Back