First Lathe

I have to say I've never leveled a lathe and so far haven't had any issues holding tolerances. As written above, the only issue I can see with that table is that it's a little on the light side. A couple of sheets of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together, then the lathe bolted to that would be a good start.

I have to say I've never leveled a lathe and so far haven't had any issues holding tolerances. As written above, the only issue I can see with that table is that it's a little on the light side. A couple of sheets of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together, then the lathe bolted to that would be a good start.
All depends on what you're trying to do I guess. A couple brackets, bushings, spacers (or maybe operations like facing) that are only a couple inches in length from the chuck you can probably get away with it. I know It was forever before I "leveled" mine and I made lots of stuff.

But if you want to make longer items and without "leveling" it, you can run into tapering across the length of the work piece. It also effects the shorter items, it's just not as noticeable because the length of the workpiece is so short.

Sure, if you're working on stuff a couple of feet long to tenths then maybe you'll have problems, maybe not. I just think that people get all bent out of shape about leveling lathes when really it's pretty well down the list of important things you need to do.

Sure, if you're working on stuff a couple of feet long to tenths then maybe you'll have problems, maybe not. I just think that people get all bent out of shape about leveling lathes when really it's pretty well down the list of important things you need to do.
It doesn't have to be feet. I've seen taper happen in as little as 3-4 inches.

It may be somewhat small at that length, but if you're making a sleeve or a pin to go into a part, that taper matters....

1st, Be Safe, 2nd Have fun, 34th "level" if you need to.
Have a way of keeping the casters from moving while using. Generally it is considered bad practice to have any grinding/sanding done near a precision machine.

Realize this is a very deep rabbit hole. There will be many things you will "need." A 3 jaw chuck would be high on my list along with measuring devices.

It doesn't have to be feet. I've seen taper happen in as little as 3-4 inches.

It may be somewhat small at that length, but if you're making a sleeve or a pin to go into a part, that taper matters....
what can I say, sure, level your lathe, go for it. I'm just saying I've never see noticeable taper in either of my lathes (Atlas 618 and South Bend heavy 9) over 6-7". If you have a problem, fix it. If you don't, don't (unless you want to).

what can I say, sure, level your lathe, go for it. I'm just saying I've never see noticeable taper in either of my lathes (Atlas 618 and South Bend heavy 9) over 6-7". If you have a problem, fix it. If you don't, don't (unless you want to).
I think the issue here is that "level" is a bit of a misnomer.

What needs to be fixed/adjusted/confirmed is that the bed ways are true and parallel to each other and the headstock, tailstock and carriage are in line with the ways.

As long as those parameters are good, you could stick the lathe to the ceiling upside down and it will still cut true.

We use a machinist level on the lathe to get the ways true to each other because it's a relatively simple and easy way to do it. The bubble gives you a common reference plane to make your adjustments to. Once the ways are both level in the length and width to the machinist level, they're true to each other.

If a guy's lathe is cutting true without doing any shimming or alignment, then the ways are true to each other and the headstock, tailstock and carriage are in alignment.

Chucking a machinists level on it at that point just confirms what you already know.

But herein also lies the "gotcha" of not having a solid, stable, secure mounting and why guys get the "loose the casters" comments. It's also why wood isn't the best mounting surface (can warp, twist and shrink expand with heat and humidity changes).

If the table/cabinet can move/flex, it can cause the bed ways to twist (we think of cast iron as stiff, but it's not immune to movement and shift) which throws it all out and you start getting strange things like tapering, inaccuracy, not repeatable, etc. This is where chucking a machinst's level on it can be useful if you move it around. You can confirm it's all good before turning something and wasting your good stock material.

Last edited:
no misnomer/ misunderstanding. I know exactly what is meant by leveling a lathe and making sure it turns true, of which using a precision machinists level is one method. My issue is the insistence people make of leveling lathes and releveling if they move them. If the lathe is bolted to a stout enough surface you could move it around on cobblestones, maybe even take it offroad for a trip and the "trueness" of the lathe won't change one iota. Just picture a lathe bolted to a 3 ton slab of steel. Doesn't matter what you do to it, it's "trueness" isn't going to change. If your lathe is a flexi-flyer or has some inherent twist, bolt it to something stout. If the twist persists, fix it. There is absolutely no point trying to level a lathe with a machinists level if it's not properly secured to something as any adjustments you try to make will simply bend the bench or lift it off the floor.

I guess the issue I have is with all the dogmas flying around - can't use carbide with small lathes, have to level a lathe with a precision level to use it etc etc. Use the lathe, if something doesn't work, fix it.

Ok, I’m out. This is just going around and around the same tree…

I appreciate all of the feedback. I think for the time being I'm going to get some bar stock and watch a few videos on HSS tooling and see what happens. If I can make the simple spacers and things I bought the lathe for I will be happy. When the time comes for more elaborate items I will upgrade things as needed. The main thing is (in my opinion) figuring out how to use what I have. I did cut down those pieces of pipe. The first one didn't go like I planned but the second one was much better. Along with the help and information available on this website I'm sure it will be a fun and interesting journey !!

Back