First mill chips

Coincidentally, it shipped today. Should be here Monday apparently.
You will love the DRO.
As a note of interest, learning to use the DRO takes a bit of study and practice. Considering Machinists have been putting out excellent work for over 100 years without the DRO, I like to sometimes work with the hand wheels and see how close I can come to my goal. If you are careful the old school method works quite well.
I'm not going to turn off the DRO though.
Have fun.

You will love the DRO.
As a note of interest, learning to use the DRO takes a bit of study and practice. Considering Machinists have been putting out excellent work for over 100 years without the DRO, I like to sometimes work with the hand wheels and see how close I can come to my goal. If you are careful the old school method works quite well.
I'm not going to turn off the DRO though.
Have fun.
Yes! It also helps that we are not bending over to read the dials with a candle and a magnifying glass in a dark machine shop. Another reason they are referred to as the greatest generation!

That's better. Now that you have the experience and apparently the touch, come do mine...
It definitely took some fussing. I ended up using multiple layers of foil as the brass shim stock I has was too thick.
It's amazing that one layer of aluminum foil can make a difference. 4 layers was too much on one corner, 3 layers was just right.
One corner is a bit more than 1/2 a tick over .0001 so not quite the same all the way around but I was making a mess of it trying to chase that down.

It definitely took some fussing. I ended up using multiple layers of foil as the brass shim stock I has was too thick.
It's amazing that one layer of aluminum foil can make a difference. 4 layers was too much on one corner, 3 layers was just right.
One corner is a bit more than 1/2 a tick over .0001 so not quite the same all the way around but I was making a mess of it trying to chase that down.
Use cellophane to chase that last .00005.

Consider adding a VFD to that mill. I did mine a year ago and it is wonderful not to have to change belts.

I got a 1HP 3 phase used for $40 and this VFD: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/383005663620
I am giving it serious consideration after mucking about with the belts over the past few days. I'd like the ability to be more accurate with rpm to get proper SFM.

Back