• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Fork truck + Texting + Concrete Wall

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

kev74

Oops! That concrete looks like its brand new.

GA Gyro

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Down here in GA (state)... the govt passed a 'hands free' phone law...
Starting July 1, 2018... the driver is not allowed to hold the phone while driving.
If the phone is in a cradle, one can touch it... just not hold it.

Lordbeezer

I would say at least 75 percent of motor vehicle accidents I investigated in my last 5 years of working were due to drivers paying more attention to their phone than driving...traffic is bad around my area..drivers texting.looking at phone.talking instead of driving..ought to be against the law..oh hell it already is..learned along time ago you can't fix stupid

Silverbullet

Those same idiots vote too. No I'm not politicking just saying a saying. Ban the phones ban the cars. Like you said you can't fix stupid. And no one teaches common sense or pride .

rwm

Active User
Drivers here are so bad, the only real solution is autonomous driving. Every one here on I85 is a Nascar driver. I got passed the other day by someone doing 100 mph on the right hand SHOULDER.
Robert

kev74

Before smart phones came out, people were crashing their cars while they were fiddling with the radio, drinking, eating, brushing hair, putting on make-up and yelling at their kids. When I took drivers ed, one of the things we had to do was to use a map to navigate to a destination - does anyone else remember how much fun it was to use a 24"x36" paper paper map while you were driving? Good times!

Blame the workman, not the tool.

Ferrous Turner

I used to use Thomas Brothers maps all the time. Phones put them out of business. Map reading is becoming a lost art.

dlane

Active User
Only one way to fix stupid , sometimes stupid fixes itself but other people get dead too

solo

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Oh, that concrete was only about 1 yr old. I hate when you get that first dent. I see at lot of people are miffed at all the stoopid drivers out there. I'm 56, and I can say, I miss the old days. I'm in Summerville, S.C. and traffic is getting worse everyday. Once this remodel is done on the house we're selling and moving to the foot hills, into the quiet country.

kvt

Active User
SA has passed the hands free law, Then for a while there were more wrecks as people were trying to hide the fact they were on the phone, Now they have gone back to do not care. They cannot pull you over for just being on the phone, They have to find another reason, and they do not do that. They could spend all day just handing out tickets for other stuff, but then they would have to give them selves tickets as well.

solo

Yea, I see the police on their phones, and laptops all the time.
When we were ready to sign for this house the seller and a group of friends were working at a military base, headed out for lunch on their motorcycles. A police officer, just dropped off his son somewhere, when they were stopped at a red light, he ran into the back of them, killing one on the spot. Her boyfriend never did recover. He's still laid up in a convalescent home. I can't remember how many got hurt. Turns out this wasn't his first accident. He drove into a concrete wall also. Did I mention that he was drunk both times. Wow.

RWanke

Life Is Tough It's Tougher When You're Stupid. A saying that I pounded into my sons head since he was old enough to listen. I eventually shortened the saying into the acronym.

LITITWYS

He now tells friends and strangers "A wise man use to tell me...."
I'm so proud. :D

Lordbeezer

There are stupid people working at every job there is.sometimes others are hurt or worse before they are labeled a stupid ass.a lot of times that's not enough to get them gone..

GA Gyro

If we got rid of 'participation trophies'... and the mentality that goes behind them... and people had to suffer the consequences of their choices...
Well...

OTOH... that is politics...
Never mind... :)

JPigg55

Active User
SA has passed the hands free law, Then for a while there were more wrecks as people were trying to hide the fact they were on the phone, Now they have gone back to do not care. They cannot pull you over for just being on the phone, They have to find another reason, and they do not do that. They could spend all day just handing out tickets for other stuff, but then they would have to give them selves tickets as well.
Here in Illinois, if you're involved in an accident, the first thing the police do is check with your cell phone carrier to see if you were on your phone at the time of the accident and ticket you if you were regardless of hands free or not.

jtrain

Active User
Distracted driving with cell phones is a huge problem

TerryH

In the shop...
I live in one of the fastest growing areas in the country. Traffic is just nuts. So many people are moving here that there is no way that we will ever catch up at the pace we are building/rebuilding the highway infrastructure. Every single day I see a huge percentage of the people around me in traffic are texting. The bad is I have to drive in that mess. The good is that I'm in the body shop business so there is a silver lining to the storm cloud. :grin:.

rickinlucas

Swarf
Registered Member
The National Transportation Safety Board and the Insurance Industry for Highway Safety gather volumes of data on crash causes. A relative works at one of them, and has access to data from both. Deaths by texting passed up death by DWI several years ago. If you toss in crippling injury with death the numbers are staggering. First half of last year ( last complete period) data on death and crippling injury has it a 7 to 1 texting vs. DWI.
DWI included driving while under the influence of any intoxicants legal or illegal.

Aukai

Maybe take away all warning labels, this may have an effect on the gene pool.:grin:

Eddyde

Staff member
Legendary filmmaker Werner Herzog made this powerful short documentary on the horrific cost of texting while driving.

pontiac428

I have chosen to live near enough to work to be able to walk or ride a bike as a daily routine for the last 18 years. Every day on my way to the shipyard I watch people act inconsiderately about my safety as I dash through the lighted crosswalks and driveway approaches. Apparently, being a pedestrian makes me a peon whose life isn't worth lifting a heavy foot off of the accelerator for. I think that 1 in 5 drivers I see are doing something with their phone. The combat vet part of me wants to punch through the window and wedge those smartphones somewhere uncomfortable, somewhere where it would take surgery to remove. Yet I smile and refrain, and walk my ridiculously vulnerable self across the zebra stripes as quickly as possible. Please drive safely.

Superburban

Before smart phones came out, people were crashing their cars while they were fiddling with the radio, drinking, eating, brushing hair, putting on make-up and yelling at their kids. When I took drivers ed, one of the things we had to do was to use a map to navigate to a destination - does anyone else remember how much fun it was to use a 24"x36" paper paper map while you were driving? Good times!

Blame the workman, not the tool.
Yep, I remember back in the 70's, in Chicago area, not sure if it was the state, or Chicago, but they had a big debate over outlawing radios in cars. Too many teenagers messing with the radio, and causing accidents.

I understand all states have distracted driving laws, Why not enforce them? I don't have a problem with a driver using a cell phone on the highway with no traffic around. Why should that be an automatic ticket, yet another driver talking like crazy on the CB is ok?

20+ years of driving truck, I may have not seen it all, but nothing would surprise me anymore.

Yea, I see the police on their phones, and laptops all the time.
About ten years ago, the city I lived in in Pa, passed a law banning cell phones while driving, but also specifically exempted police. Several of the council members asked what special training the police received that made them better, they never got a response. Another asked ordinary citizens could not get the same training, to be allowed to operate a cell phone while driving.

I'm so glad to be away from the East coast, and not driving truck every day.

hotrats

Swarf
Registered Member
We're in Saigon at present. You'd be surprised seeing Mom on a motorcycle, with 3 kids hanging on, a baby between her legs, texting in this crazy traffic. I've been coming here almost 20 years, and still haven't figured out which are the red lights you run, and why you can run those lights.

hman

Active User
Sounds like it hasn't changed a whole lot since I was there in '69 (wearing a funny green "suit").

hotrats

Swarf
Registered Member
Thanks for your service! Just more traffic. Less bicycles, more motorcycles, Bentleys, MB,BMW, Porsche, Ferrari added to the mix. Oh - did spot a (really nice) '68 Mustang.

starr256

A slightly different take. Today, it is too easy to drive a car. Its simple to drive down the freeway with your knee steering or a one finger operation. Maybe we need to eliminate power steering, automatic transmissions, and all the other "convenience" features. Keep the safety features (seat belts, air bags, unibody design), just remove those features that make the car "easier" to drive, forcing the drive to stay focused. Yeah, that's gonna happen. Oh, well........

savarin

Active User
I remember one safety dude who thought every steering wheel should have a large sharp spike in the middle as he reackoned that would slow people down and make them take way more care.

Nogoingback

A slightly different take. Today, it is too easy to drive a car. Its simple to drive down the freeway with your knee steering or a one finger operation. Maybe we need to eliminate power steering, automatic transmissions, and all the other "convenience" features. Keep the safety features (seat belts, air bags, unibody design), just remove those features that make the car "easier" to drive, forcing the drive to stay focused. Yeah, that's gonna happen. Oh, well........

I recently read that someplace in Europe, the local authorities have decided to remove all the stop signs, lights and other signs that regulate
traffic flow, which FORCES the drivers to pay attention and think about their driving. The result has been a significant reduction in traffic
accidents. What a concept: expecting people to be responsible for their actions.

[6]
[5] [7]