Found a “deal” on the local facebook

I figure the SB surface grinder to be about 2600 lbs...

Nice get!! I hope your sale of the surplus machines goes super!
What’s your guess on the hartford? Also I plan on making another thread but the left lower handle that has cogs(I’m pretty sure it’s the knee). It feels like the gear is just grazing the other gear. Any idea about that?

What’s your guess on the hartford? Also I plan on making another thread but the left lower handle that has cogs(I’m pretty sure it’s the knee). It feels like the gear is just grazing the other gear. Any idea about that?
Not sure, but it could be there's a pin holding the bevel gear and it may have come out, or sheared. Hopefully that's all it is. Or it could be the collar that keeps it from sliding back has lost it's pin. Those are the best outcomes, I hope that's all it is. You may want to keep one of the surface grinders... I didn't think I wanted one..

Also, to access the knee stuff. Do you remove the table to access it? I need to find some information how it all works

If my memory serves, my Hartford came to about 1725 lbs.
Not sure, but it could be there's a pin holding the bevel gear and it may have come out, or sheared.
There are several problems in the BP design, and Hartford just copied them. Swarf always gets down the knee and clogs the bevel gear. If this persists a long time, the gears wear to nubbins. Sometimes the swarf jams the gears and the pin shears off. the bearing surface can wear away, allowing the bevel gears to not mesh well. All these are intricate repairs.
Also, to access the knee stuff. Do you remove the table to access it? I need to find some information how it all works
Mine is completely disassembled at the moment. If you are agile, you can use a mechanics creeper on a pallet covered in plywood to do some cleaning and inspection. Fixing it involves removing the knee, table et al.

HW machine works youtube channel has a LOT of videos on disassembling, repairing and reassembling BP style mills. They also sell parts, too. The seem to be a helpful vendor. All your parts are compatible with a BP mill. One of the advantages in them not 'improving' the design.

Back