FreeCad - really just getting started

I wasn't looking to technically animate the drawing, just be able to rotate the lever. Lever seems to be welded to the shoulder bolt! Apparently there's insufficient degrees of freedom for rotation, or the software doesn't allow it.

Yesterday I struggled so heavily with FreeCad... I watched as it redrew my close to complete shapes, and when it did, they looked nothing like what they were the seconds before. UNDO. over and over it kept changing the image. I started another. 1 degree of freedom, I start locating it, and can't find it. Then one of my ARCs disappear..

If only some of the things worked... remove redundant constraints automatically.. A clearer way to see the degrees of freedom.. I am looking at it, and I can't see what they are highlighting. All my points went from green to orange, and that is not helping I watch adventures in creation and he struggles, I saw Joko called out the free cad developers for some bugs... I have had my drawings change sizes, or have it say corrupted, while the size is in the underlying sketch... I hope they fix this... it is free.. but it can really SUCK at times.

End of RANT.. venting... frustration continues....

I hope your usage is different.

A couple of months ago, frustrated (or was it angry?) by FreeCad's failure to fix the assembly problems, even in latest versions supposedly targeting that problem, I decided to try Fusion 360. After about a week of hand holding from a friend who is a proficient user, I've never looked back. I'm a total convert.
Maybe Freecad will fix the problem, but given that it's been around for years, I'm not optimistic about it.

Yesterday I struggled so heavily with FreeCad... I watched as it redrew my close to complete shapes, and when it did, they looked nothing like what they were the seconds before. UNDO. over and over it kept changing the image. I started another. 1 degree of freedom, I start locating it, and can't find it. Then one of my ARCs disappear..

If only some of the things worked... remove redundant constraints automatically.. A clearer way to see the degrees of freedom.. I am looking at it, and I can't see what they are highlighting. All my points went from green to orange, and that is not helping I watch adventures in creation and he struggles, I saw Joko called out the free cad developers for some bugs... I have had my drawings change sizes, or have it say corrupted, while the size is in the underlying sketch... I hope they fix this... it is free.. but it can really SUCK at times.

End of RANT.. venting... frustration continues....

I hope your usage is different.
Sorry to hear this. When I started out I had a LOT of trouble closing the shapes. I think the trick is that when the color of the dot changes, that means if you click the mouse, it will close the shape. If you are color blind, this will be hard. Only mentioning that, because many guys do have color blindness. One thing that is essential, is you have to close the shape. Start with simple things, like using polylines to making a closed shape. If you need holes, do that later. Likewise with slots with curved (arc ends).

What version are you using? I am using 0.19. It's ok. Believe me, it's not bug free, but I have been able to draw up a lot of stuff now. Drawing lathe tooling with the correct angles has kicked my butt, but haven't had any big issues with other stuff that I couldn't work around by trying something different.

Sorry to hear this. When I started out I had a LOT of trouble closing the shapes. I think the trick is that when the color of the dot changes, that means if you click the mouse, it will close the shape. If you are color blind, this will be hard. Only mentioning that, because many guys do have color blindness. One thing that is essential, is you have to close the shape. Start with simple things, like using polylines to making a closed shape. If you need holes, do that later. Likewise with slots with curved (arc ends).

What version are you using? I am using 0.19. It's ok. Believe me, it's not bug free, but I have been able to draw up a lot of stuff now. Drawing lathe tooling with the correct angles has kicked my butt, but haven't had any big issues with other stuff that I couldn't work around by trying something different.
I am using poly lines.. So I find, I take a few steps forward, and then more steps back , over and over with FreeCad. I thought I was getting much better, only to find it very odd.

I was tracing an image in one case. using the poly. When done it looked very basic. I started fixing the vertical and horizontal first. I was constraining.. I had to put it down, and hit close , then save. When I saw the closed screen (not in sketch) a large section of the poly lines was missing. Hit sketch and it's there. For some reason it was not appearing out of the sketch. 1/6th of the model. so bizarre.

A couple of months ago, frustrated (or was it angry?) by FreeCad's failure to fix the assembly problems, even in latest versions supposedly targeting that problem, I decided to try Fusion 360. After about a week of hand holding from a friend who is a proficient user, I've never looked back. I'm a total convert.
Maybe Freecad will fix the problem, but given that it's been around for years, I'm not optimistic about it.
Assembly admittedly is a PIA. For me, a linux user, Fusion 360 is not an option. There is no linux version available. However, there's a heck of a lot of stuff that I have been able to draw up this year successfully. I only learned FreeCAD this January, but have been able to create about 25 good models so far. I'm not modeling engines, I just want to draw up simple things I can go make. Here's an admittedly simple AXA-4D clone that took me 20 minutes to draw up. I later added a parametric way to allow it to be be modified to accept a 1" boring bar.
axa_4d_clone.jpg

I am using poly lines.. So I find, I take a few steps forward, and then more steps back , over and over with FreeCad. I thought I was getting much better, only to find it very odd.

I was tracing an image in one case. using the poly. When done it looked very basic. I started fixing the vertical and horizontal first. I was constraining.. I had to put it down, and hit close , then save. When I saw the closed screen (not in sketch) a large section of the poly lines was missing. Hit sketch and it's there. For some reason it was not appearing out of the sketch. 1/6th of the model. so bizarre.
I experienced a horrible time tracing a (too complicated) photo. A kind member here was able to fix my error. Since that time, I haven't had the same problem again. Never had an issue just constructing stuff. I was advised to move on from that lesson, and it turned out to be good advice.

What version FreeCAD?

Here's part of a lathe tool rack I am fiddling with right now. I really need to make one bad. This is done in assembly, so I can independently line up the parts. Assembly, to me is sort of hard.
toolrack.jpg
Here is a view of the sketch of the steel tube that I started with. Just a constraint preserving fillet sketch.
2022-05-29-113036_1851x1051_scrot.png
Then it was padded. Then made a sketch of the tubing inner hole, which was a smaller constraint preserving fillet, and used that to pocket through the length of the tube. I'm kind of simple, so I construct things out of simple shapes. It turns out, doing it this way is pretty easy, and doesn't take all that long to build up interesting things.

I experienced a horrible time tracing a (too complicated) photo. A kind member here was able to fix my error. Since that time, I haven't had the same problem again. Never had an issue just constructing stuff. I was advised to move on from that lesson, and it turned out to be good advice.

What version FreeCAD?

Here's part of a lathe tool rack I am fiddling with right now. I really need to make one bad. This is done in assembly, so I can independently line up the parts. Assembly, to me is sort of hard.
View attachment 408267
Here is a view of the sketch of the steel tube that I started with. Just a constraint preserving fillet sketch.
View attachment 408268
Then it was padded. Then made a sketch of the tubing inner hole, which was a smaller constraint preserving fillet, and used that to pocket through the length of the tube. I'm kind of simple, so I construct things out of simple shapes. It turns out, doing it this way is pretty easy, and doesn't take all that long to build up interesting things.
I'm also using 19.. I would love to do freecad or solidworks, but I think the price is keeping me away. Not enough use to justify it. I was hoping freecad would work for me. It could if some of the little quirky things were fixed. Some are down right annoying. I started mostly so I can get a drawing. I did find it nice working off a real drawing.. but when the dimensions started showing up as corrupted, it mad the drawing useless. I have been really hampered by that. Like all I use it for is to get the drawing and they can't hold on to the reference!!!!!!!!!! I realize many use it for 3d printing, but I need that drawing, so I can just go and machine..... I keep it as simple as I can so I can progress. And I just get so annoyed when it appears to be working, then all of a sudden it drops an area I am not working in... or it says corrupted, or redundant constraints... who cares if they are redundant, it should help to lock something in... but instead it balks like crazy.

Ok. Think I just got a clue. By any chance are you making a model, then using TechDraw, then changing the model again? This typically breaks the 2d drawing. The reason is what is called the topological naming problem. 0.19 does not have a good solution for the TNP, but there are some workarounds. Can you post one of your models, perhaps a simpler one, that has issues? HM allows posting of FreeCAD models.

You should not overconstrain the models. You should only put in enough to satisfy FreeCAD, really. Once the sketch is constrained, it should be done. Over constraining messes up the solver and usually isn't necessary, if you constrained the drawing properly. This is something that seems like you need to review. If you have particular questions, post up the model in question.

For the non-professional use that I have, I just can't justify spending big money on 3D CAD. It makes no sense. If I were a business, that would be different, then it's a tool. I'm retired and don't want to pay for CAD, especially if it isn't income producing.

Back