From 3 phase to single phase with replacing motor

Juanca

Registered
Registered
Dear all,
I joined Hobby Machinist not too long ago. I am a retired mechanical engineer with a long trajectory in consulting engineering and construction for the oil and petrochemical industry.
Recently I purchased an EMCO Maximat V13 equipped with a 3 phase 3 HP brake motor.(Electromechanical brake) I have no 3 phase electricity available at home so I went through extensive research and engineering design to come to a solution on how to run the lathe with a single phase.
I want to offer my experience to whoever needs it.
Anyone can contact me and gladly I will do my best to help.

Attachments

• Lathe Diagram (As Built, Rev.1)-Model copy.pdf
    112.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Lathe Panel.jpg
    Lathe Panel.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
Welcome to HM, Juanca. When you can, show us some pics of your V13 and keep us updated on your progress. I, for one, am interested.

Hi Mikey. I did include a picture of the wiring diagram and the control panel as it is after the modification.
Would you like to see a particular view?

Nice job. Neat and tidy installation
cheers
Martin

Hi Mikey. I did include a picture of the wiring diagram and the control panel as it is after the modification.
Would you like to see a particular view?

I meant pics of your lathe! We like pics on HM - it's a rule, you know ... ;)

Nice clean install. Just an electrical code recommendation is that neutral and ground are kept separate unless it is at the electrical service entrance. Grounds should be routed to a single point either a star ground or a buss bar. One caution with using direct connections from the VFD to the spindle switch is that upon power up and energizing the system a lathe can start if the spindle switch is not in the stop position. Some VFD's can be programmed to prevent this at power up (07-00 covers momentary power loss, on other VFD's it requires a programmed active input), but I usually use a latching relay design between the spindle switch and the VFD inputs, the latch can only activate when the spindle switch passes through the stop position after power loss or fault condition. If a fault condition were to exist, and one hits the VFD reset it will go into the run mode if input 1 or 2 are active. The Teco L510 is an affordable VFD, but one short coming is it does not support an external braking resistor if one wants fast stops with VFD braking. In you case it is not a problem because you are using an electro-mechanical brake. There can be issues when using a mechanical brake that one usually issues a freerun (also known as base block) to the VFD so the VFD will not fight the mechanical brake if the deceleration rates are not matched. One can also set a command that electrical braking is not applied on deceleration (07-09 = 1: Coast to stop).

Nice clean install. Just an electrical code recommendation is that neutral and ground are kept separate unless it is at the electrical service entrance. Grounds should be routed to a single point either a star ground or a buss bar. One caution with using direct connections from the VFD to the spindle switch is that upon power up and energizing the system a lathe can start if the spindle switch is not in the stop position. Some VFD's can be programmed to prevent this at power up (07-00 covers momentary power loss, on other VFD's it requires a programmed active input), but I usually use a latching relay design between the spindle switch and the VFD inputs, the latch can only activate when the spindle switch passes through the stop position after power loss or fault condition. If a fault condition were to exist, and one hits the VFD reset it will go into the run mode if input 1 or 2 are active. The Teco L510 is an affordable VFD, but one short coming is it does not support an external braking resistor if one wants fast stops with VFD braking. In you case it is not a problem because you are using an electro-mechanical brake. There can be issues when using a mechanical brake that one usually issues a freerun (also known as base block) to the VFD so the VFD will not fight the mechanical brake if the deceleration rates are not matched. One can also set a command that electrical braking is not applied on deceleration (07-09 = 1: Coast to stop).
Dear MKSJ, thank you for your valuable comments. I would say that we are cover on the commented items. My lathe will not start at a opera failure or at first star unless the operator is present in front of the machine and the Start button is press. I feel very safe in this regard. Yes the Taco L510 does not accept external braking resistor. In my case we are using as you notice, the motor spring loaded brake. No issues with this. Yes the VFD is set to Coast to Stop.. Once again thank you for your comments.

Very nice lathe Juanca, I believe the V13 was the biggest of the Emco-Maier lineup.
I had an opportunity to buy a Super 11 many years ago, I regret passing it up.
-Mark

Very nice lathe Juanca, I believe the V13 was the biggest of the Emco-Maier lineup.
I had an opportunity to buy a Super 11 many years ago, I regret passing it up.
-Mark
Hello Markba633csi, Ye indeed, Emco lathes are supposed to be the finest hobby lathe there is. Perhaps you can get one od the new generation? There are several for sale. Some Supper 11 as well. I will be posting pictures quite soon .

Back