From 3 phase to single phase with replacing motor

Welcome Juanca. I am curious to know if your Emco has a gap.I am also curious to know if these vfds have a safety feature that prevents start up if you have a power failure. In my country we have many power failures .I need to fit a contactor to prevent this but if a vfd can be programmed to not start up after a failure it would save some penny's.

Hello Plunger. My ENCO is a Maximat V13. I understand that the Maximat V13 is a version that was made for the US Market basically.
There are many VFD in the market, My is a TECO Westinghouse L510 which is a good yet affordable VFD. Some can be a program not to start after a power failure until you reset the operation. In my particular case, I use an electromagnetic contactor to protect against a self start-up after a power failure. Did you have a chance to look the wiring diagram that I posted?

Good morning to all,
I shall clarify that there is a mistake in the title of my recent initiated thread.
I went to a single-phase feeder (L1&L2) WITHOUT replacing the original 3 phase brake-motor of the lathe.
This is what is all about it.
Have a wonderful day

Quite a neat setup. I am elecrtically challenged so cant understand all the squiggly lines. What do you mean by motor spring loaded brake.
Is your emco metric or imperial and I am curious if it came with a gap or not in the lathe bed.Is it the 2000 or 2500 maximun speed motor.

Quite a neat setup. I am electrically challenged so cant understand all the squiggly lines. What do you mean by motor spring-loaded brake?
Is your emco metric or imperial and I am curious if it came with a gap or not in the lathe bed.Is it the 2000 or 2500 maximum speed motor.
Dear Plunger. I am not an electrical guy however with a little bit of time and dedication I am sure that you can follow the electrical diagram that I posted,
The brake consists of a plate that is pushed by several springs over a disk so the motor can not rotate. Once you energize the motor, a magnet in the brake is also energized and release the plate that pushes the brake.
The maximum rated speed is 2500. Because of the variable frequency drive (VFD) I can exceed the original maximum speed of the motor. I have set the maximum speed to be 3000.

I just asked the speed because it gives an indication of the year it was made. 3000rpm is scary fast .I seldom use the 2000 rpm on my lathe and If I wish I could go higher through the vfd.Does your vfd not have an ability to use a brake resistor. It will be interesting to see a pic of the electro brake.

I must be the only guy to have a emco v13 that has a permanent gap. The lathes are beautiful but with this permanent gap the compound is about 100mm longer to compensate . So if you dont want your carriage to hang half way off the gap you need to screw the compound over .But this effects rigidity big time.

I am trying to find someone out there who also has a gap bed Emco.
In my humble opinion it must be the lowest point in Emcos history and there engineers should bow there heads in shame. Unless Im doing something silly.I will take a pic to show you what I mean.

I just asked the speed because it gives an indication of the year it was made. 3000rpm is scary fast .I seldom use the 2000 rpm on my lathe and If I wish I could go higher through the vfd.Does your vfd not have an ability to use a brake resistor. It will be interesting to see a pic of the electro brake.

I must be the only guy to have a emco v13 that has a permanent gap. The lathes are beautiful but with this permanent gap the compound is about 100mm longer to compensate . So if you dont want your carriage to hang half way off the gap you need to screw the compound over .But this effects rigidity big time.

I am trying to find someone out there who also has a gap bed Emco.
In my humble opinion it must be the lowest point in Emcos history and there engineers should bow there heads in shame. Unless Im doing something silly.I will take a pic to show you what I mean.
Hello Plunger.
My VFD (Teco Westinghouse L510) can be used to decelerate and stop the motor. Before I decided to install the Electromechanical brake, I used the lathe with the TECO ability to decelerate and bring the motor to complete stop, however, I couldn't get it to stop in less than 5 seconds. Like you indicated the L510 does not have the possibility to add an external resistor. Some other models of VFD do have that option.
How many HP is your EMCO ? The motor that came with your lathe has the possibility to install an electromechanical brake?
I do not remember if I told you that my Maximat V13 doesnot have the "gap" as your lathe does.
Best regards

Very nice! Looks to be in top shape but it's like ... too clean!

Congrats on a beautiful and very rare machine.

Back