Fusion 360 Defunctioning

That 10 project limit, if they're in your library, but not "active", maybe that is ok? You can put other things into the archive and pull things out and make them active? This is all guessing, but I can't believe it would work any other way.

Based on the literature they put out, it sounds like you'll be allows to have 10 active documents and unlimited archived documents.

Documents can be switched into/out of active status at will (and it sounds like they're trying to come up with an easy way to do so; hopefully a big list with check boxes or radio buttons or something).

Archived documents can (reportedly) be referenced by active documents, but will be read-only. (Or maybe they can be brought in read-only, then modified in the current document, but it wouldn't update the original, archived reference. Not sure how that'll work, but it won't really affect how I use it.)

Anyway, all that is in the messaging put out by Autodesk. We'll see in a few weeks how they start implementing these changes.

I've been using Autodesk Inventor (Education license) for the past 12 years (since high school). They finally cut me off this year.

I tried out Fusion 360 a little while ago and didn't like the interface. Felt clunky compared to what I was used to and I didn't trust the online software and hobby licensing (interesting how that panned out).

I think I am going to jump on the $40/year Solidworks through EAA. It is a superior software to Fusion 360 and has a very similar interface and workflow. If you were pretty good with Fusion 360 or Inventor, then Solidworks should come pretty easy to you. Worth $40 to find out I think.

Definitely had my opinion of Autodesk quickly changed over the past 6 months :(

Consider that the EAA $40 offer is not necessarily forever. I love SolidWorks and have my own seat (2012 version) but there is definitely a steep learning curve with it. It would be a shame to invest the hundreds of hours at becoming proficient using it only to find that the $40 offer evaporated.

Consider that the EAA $40 offer is not necessarily forever. I love SolidWorks and have my own seat (2012 version) but there is definitely a steep learning curve with it. It would be a shame to invest the hundreds of hours at becoming proficient using it only to find that the $40 offer evaporated.

Agreed. I already know Solidworks so that doesn't scare me. I just don't know what other *legal* options there are out there - other than FreeCAD.

Also agreed Rj. This is this issue I have with F360 right now. I really wish I could buy & be done. I really feel backed into a corner right now. I’m not 100% sure how the F360 changes will affect me, will I need to pay $300 to keep it workable ? Wil have have to buy cloud credits which are nearly as much, what about in a calendar year from now?
I’m a nobody just having fun. At what point is this hobby to expensive to continue? I spend 3-8k every few years to expand my abilities. I spend an average of about $400 a month for tools/upgrades. No doubt this is an expensive hobby. The unknown with continual software purchases is just too much to swallow. I CANT go back and learn something else that won’t be as good or has shakey ground for pricing in the future. AGAIN, everyone affect SHOULD write to AutoDesk. Be heard, make a good case. Though we don’t pay, we contribute a lot to the value of the company. Look at YouTube. It’s free and they make A LOT of money based on their client base. They make money on the companies that agree to work with them. How many people buy tools based on their libraries? They’re not going broke anytime soon.

This sums up the changes and it does not seem to be a huge imposition for hobby users. From:

2 – What does the 10 active documents change really mean?
  • 10 active documents means that you have 10 spots for any document to open and be editable at any given time. All your other documents will be stored in your projects in a new inactive state. They will remain yours, saved in your projects.
  • When you reach your 10 document capacity, and you want to revisit an older design and open it up, you can do so by deactivating an active document and activating the inactive one to swap places with. Again, you continue to keep all your designs and projects with no limits on how many you can have in inactive state.
  • PDFs, images, presentations, spreadsheets, etc do not count towards the 10 active document allowance.
  • If you have an assembly with referenced designs in it, the assembly and each reference (if opened) will count as 1 document each. Assemblies can reference active and inactive documents. You will still be able to edit the referenced designs as long as they are also active. If your referenced designs in the assembly are inactive, you can still open your assemblies, but the references will be read only.
  • Electronics Design Library, schematic, 2D PCB count as 1 document.

3 – Can I still machine parts?

Yes. 2, 2.5 and 3 axis milling will still be available in the new Personal Use offering.

• More advanced manufacturing functionality such as 3+2 axis, 4 axis, and 5 axis milling will only be available in the paid subscription.
  • Toolpath simulation in the Manufacture workspace is not going anywhere and will still be available.
  • Automatic tool change capability will not be available, and rapid feedrate are limited to cutting feedrate.

4 – Can I still 3D Print?

Yes, STL Export will still be available in Fusion 360 for Personal Use.

• You can still use Fusion 360 for 3D printing with File > 3D print > send to print utility of your choice, File Export > STL or Save As STL
5 – Can I still laser-cut or do 2D routing?

Save As DXF is still available from sketch.

• DXF will not be a supported file format from File > Export, but you will still be able to right click on a sketch in the browser and select Save As DXF for your laser cutting and routing needs.

Unfortunately, it may lead to some folks hitting the Pirate Bay web site for pirated software. Stuff like Unigraphics, MasterCam, etc. is available there, maybe Solidworks too. But be forewarned if you think about going the pirated software route. An officemate of my wife had downloaded a copy of UG and was using it for personal 3-D printer work, didn't sell anything, just putzing around with his printer. UG apparently pings Siemens when it's booted; he got a cease and desist letter from a legal firm and was facing a civil lawsuit if he didn't remove the software.

Bruce

Last edited:
This sums up the changes and it does not seem to be a huge imposition for hobby users. From:

2 – What does the 10 active documents change really mean?
  • 10 active documents means that you have 10 spots for any document to open and be editable at any given time. All your other documents will be stored in your projects in a new inactive state. They will remain yours, saved in your projects.
  • When you reach your 10 document capacity, and you want to revisit an older design and open it up, you can do so by deactivating an active document and activating the inactive one to swap places with. Again, you continue to keep all your designs and projects with no limits on how many you can have in inactive state.
  • PDFs, images, presentations, spreadsheets, etc do not count towards the 10 active document allowance.
  • If you have an assembly with referenced designs in it, the assembly and each reference (if opened) will count as 1 document each. Assemblies can reference active and inactive documents. You will still be able to edit the referenced designs as long as they are also active. If your referenced designs in the assembly are inactive, you can still open your assemblies, but the references will be read only.
  • Electronics Design Library, schematic, 2D PCB count as 1 document.

3 – Can I still machine parts?

Yes. 2, 2.5 and 3 axis milling will still be available in the new Personal Use offering.

• More advanced manufacturing functionality such as 3+2 axis, 4 axis, and 5 axis milling will only be available in the paid subscription.
  • Toolpath simulation in the Manufacture workspace is not going anywhere and will still be available.
  • Automatic tool change capability will not be available, and rapid feedrate are limited to cutting feedrate.

4 – Can I still 3D Print?

Yes, STL Export will still be available in Fusion 360 for Personal Use.

• You can still use Fusion 360 for 3D printing with File > 3D print > send to print utility of your choice, File Export > STL or Save As STL
5 – Can I still laser-cut or do 2D routing?

Save As DXF is still available from sketch.

• DXF will not be a supported file format from File > Export, but you will still be able to right click on a sketch in the browser and select Save As DXF for your laser cutting and routing needs.
It seems like a lot of us have come to the conclusion that:
1. The days of free commercial software are coming to an end;
2. going forward Freecad maybe the best solution;
3. We're all going to have to give it our support if we want them and us to succeed.
Unfortunately a sinerio such as this and in the future was quite predictable simply because of the way that people and business is.

Thank you for posting that link.... I have an educational license and dont need to worry about these changes.... :cool:

Back