Fusion 360 Defunctioning

If you are referring to F360:

PDFs, images, presentations, spreadsheets, etc do not count towards the 10 active document allowance.

I think I read their limitations were that you can only do a one sheet drawing and the drawing will only be available to print (although print to PDF should be fine I would think).

Meaning you can't download the pdf?
R

There seem to be two things people are referring to as "cloud based". The first is something that actually runs in the cloud and just sends the interface to you. Onshape works this way. Your computer just shows you the interface, the calculations and such are all on their servers. The upside is that you don't need a powerful machine to run it. My phone runs Onshape quite well, even for complex designs. The down side is you have zero control over it and it can go away at any time.

There is also a kind of hybrid style, Fusion360 is a good example. Your computer does the work, but it checks in with a license server on the internet and refuses to work if it can't connect for a while. It also has things like cloud storage and some processing built in. It sounds like Solidworks might be this style as well, perhaps just for the license check.

On the other side you have something like FreeCAD that runs entirely on the local computer and has no requirement for online access.

There are pros and cons, you have to decide what works for you. And sometimes you are stuck if you need a particular thing.

I think I read their limitations were that you can only do a one sheet drawing and the drawing will only be available to print (although print to PDF should be fine I would think).

That appears to be the case but not clear, and you are correct, I don't know any way that they could prevent print to pdf.

On October 1st, 2020 – any existing or new Fusion 360 for personal use user will be limited to the following capabilities:

• Drawings – Single sheet, print only
But then further down the page:

Can I still print a drawing?

Yes, you will still have the ability to print an active drawing.

Meaning you can't download the pdf?

I believe that as long as you can print to a regular printer then you should be able to get a real local PDF file too. There are "PDF printers" that are little pieces of software that take any print job and provide a local PDF output file. You add them in much like any other hardware-based printer. Adobe has one, I use BullZip PDF Printer, I believe most resent windows installs have one too. Check your "Devices and Printers" panel.

-brino

EDIT: of course, it should say "most recent windows installs", perhaps a Freudian slip?

Last edited:
I believe that as long as you can print to a regular printer then you should be able to get a real local PDF file too. There are "PDF printers" that are little pieces of software that take any print job and provide a local PDF output file. You add them in much like any other hardware-based printer. Adobe has one, I use BullZip PDF Printer, I believe most resent windows installs have one too. Check your "Devices and Printers" panel.

-brino

Windows 10 has print to pdf built in...

9 days on countdown....
I sure hope this is still a workable system for us hobbyists. I hate being pushed into a corner, but they have me by the short hairs. I’m gonna have to purchase a version if this becomes too cumbersome. I’ve read it over a couple of times, but just the feed rate being the rapid rate is bad enough for me.

I’ve definitely had great fun using Fusion360 over the last couple of years, so I don’t mind paying for a one year license. But it’s definitely a level of cost where next year I’ll have to seriously consider whether to continue with my solid modelling hobby, if it’s the same cost or higher a year from now.

My other hobby is Music, and I’ve dabbled with music notation programs. MuseScore is an open source program which two years ago was sold. It’s currently still free, but I wonder how long for. FreeCAD may be free at the moment, but will it remain FreeCAD or be sold once it’s functionality has been developed to where it’s attractive to a purchaser?

Open source programs usually get "forked" if they go closed. If the license is really open source friendly, then you can start from the most recent open version and update from there. OpenOffice / LibreOffice had a split like that.

Bye Fusion 360...... Bye Autodesk.....
Goodbye.....

Hello Dassault Systemes SolidWorks....

Its going to take a little bit to figure out the CAM side but I was already trained to run the 3D modeling end of SolidWorks.... So far SolidWorks seems to be much a better program than Fusion 360.... It has lots of features to speed up work flow that just don't exist in Fusion 360....

Last edited:
Back