Fusion 360 Help

I downloaded the original file from Thingverse. Imported it into Fusion, it came in as metric and is about 36'' long.

I scaled it by 0.1 and it seems to be about right in inches.
I then exported it as a .f3d file and brought it back in, the scaling seems to be correct. This should have removed any of the original scaling.
I then exported that as a .stl file, and brought that back in, the scaling was back to a 36'' part. :confused 3:
It seems that the .stl export/import somehow changes the scaling.

I'm going to go have a chat with my son, he's the expert in Fusion. He's in the shop, so I'll post back in a few minutes.

Thank You!! So I'm not hallucinating. I'm still learning Fusion 360 and this one sure screwed up my mind. Not that it takes much. :)

Nope, not hallucinating. Sorry about the delay, got hung up on the phone.

OK, here is what we did.
Created a 1'' cube, scaled it to 10X, so now we have a 10'' cube.
Exported that as a .stl
Brought that .stl back in and it measured 99'', then we brought it in again and it measured about 3.94'' (about 99mm). In other words, it seems Fusion is generating random numbers in the .stl export/import function.

Try playing with the 3D print function
1664666039323.png

I don't have a 3D printer. I down loaded Preform. The first time it picked up the original file it said it was too big and then scaled it down to fit a printer and said 3-1/2 hours. Somehow got the 10 percent file there and it looks smaller and now will print in 50 minutes. Haven't fpound a way to look at the model and get a size, so I don't know if it is correct. Will look tomorrow for some other 3D files with known sizes and import them and see what happens. I will export my clamp block and see what that does.

Have not done any cad stuff in quite some time but maybe the scaling is more of a view thing.

If you draw a 1 inch cube and change the scale it is still a 1 inch cube.

The drawing is a collection of points relative to each other, I seem to recall there may have been a command to actually change the physical size but just can not remember.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I don't have a 3D printer. I down loaded Preform. The first time it picked up the original file it said it was too big and then scaled it down to fit a printer and said 3-1/2 hours. Somehow got the 10 percent file there and it looks smaller and now will print in 50 minutes. Haven't fpound a way to look at the model and get a size, so I don't know if it is correct. Will look tomorrow for some other 3D files with known sizes and import them and see what happens. I will export my clamp block and see what that does.

What is your end goal here? .stl files it seems are not very useful for machined parts. I have had only one experience with them and managed to create a .dxf out of it and then just simply redrew it as a useful file. At least I was able to get some key dimensions from the original .dxf and I knew the overall length of the part.

Are you trying to get a file or drawing that you can use to machine the part? Maybe @Ken226 will sent you a drawing or maybe a .f3d file that you can manipulate in Fusion360.

The end goal is to next year buy a Prusa I3-MK3S printer and also set up a casting furnace. I don't have one now because I can't create the file to use one. Main goal is to make casting patterns. That is why I'm trying to learn Fusion 360. I have been following the 3D threads here for a couple of years. This year PM took over 6 months to get a replacement threading gear. A person here ( sorry I don't remember the name) draw up one from the description. I sent the file off and for $14 dollars had a usable gear. A little touch up filing and I used it until real one arrived (which cost $60 including shipping). I picked Ken's Indicator holder to replace the tacky one I made 6 years ago. It still works, but I have been improving and upgrading my tools to better ones as I go along. I was going to do Mr. Pete's until Ken's came along.

I typically work 6 months to a year ahead of time picking projects and acquiring material. That seems to give me real good bargains. I have lots of stuff to do and I do some things for other people running business's so I stay busy. On small projects, lot's of time I work for metal and supplies. The customer buys excess and I get to keep the leftovers. They get a business deduction and I don't make any money. Win, Win for both. In this case, I'm going in for minor back surgery in a couple of days for a pinched nerve. My wife is going to stand guard that I don't move or do anything, so now is a good time to force myself to learn 3D. I was going to have the casting furnace this year, but I have been setting up a woodwind repair shop for my wife. That turned from a rabbit hole to a black hole :).

I used AutoCad Lite before and now Draftsight to create drawings for wood, metal and electronics. I am drawing an enclosure up to house an air pressure leak detector. You can buy pre-made for $600 or build for $200. Mine will be mahogany veneer and include storage, all in one unit. Stuff is arriving daily, but it will be weeks before I'm allowed in the shop.

P.S This all stared because I wanted to know the size of the dial indicator body. I wanted to see diameter and and depth and see if it matched mine. That's when I found out the block was 3' long

OK, now I have an understanding of what you want to do here :)

I have been playing with the original .stl file for the last hour or so and have concluded that it is useless for trying to get dimensions in Fusion, or any other software I tried. If I were going to make this part, I would use the original file as a visual reference, and just simply create a 3D model to match. I think this is faster than screwing around trying to get dimensions off of the .stl.

You already know that the tool holder is about 3 1/4'' long, and you can measure your indicator. It would take me an hour or so to model this, my son could probably do it in about 15 minutes. Good practice while you are recuperating from surgery.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Sounds good Chewy,

I was just reading a couple days ago that the new Prusa Slicer will now work with .STEP files. Also read that .Step file are a lot easier to work with than .STL files. I have no real live experience using the Slicer, I downloaded it and have been playing with it a little. I just ordered a Prusa i3 MK3S+ and like you learning Fusion 360.

Tim

Back