Fusion 360 Personal the best option for a newbie?

OP here. I’m taking the plunge with Fusion 360, at least for the time being. For those reading this thread and wanting to learn the program, I can recommend this guy‘s videos. He’s obviously a teacher, maybe jr high? Kind of pedantic, but explains things very well, unlike a lot of people that seem more intent on showing you what they know rather than actually teaching…
I think Paul is an outstanding instructor. Heck, it's free.
My biggest problem was I could not follow along as the versions change constantly.
.Once I got lost, I would just get frustrated and quit.

OP here. I’m taking the plunge with Fusion 360, at least for the time being. For those reading this thread and wanting to learn the program, I can recommend this guy‘s videos. He’s obviously a teacher, maybe jr high? Kind of pedantic, but explains things very well, unlike a lot of people that seem more intent on showing you what they know rather than actually teaching…
Teaching is a gift, too many of the tutorial YT types might know the program but they can't teach. I also like Lars, he is a good teacher but a lot of his videos are 6 years old, too bad he doesn't redo them.

I agree that it’s unfortunate so many of the early teaching-oriented videos about Fusion 360 were made with the older user interface. That aspect alone can really frustrate the learning process. FWIW, I’m happy to assist when you hit a brick wall or feel like throwing your hands up.

I agree that it’s unfortunate so many of the early teaching-oriented videos about Fusion 360 were made with the older user interface. That aspect alone can really frustrate the learning process. FWIW, I’m happy to assist when you hit a brick wall or feel like throwing your hands up.
Thank you so much!

@davidpbest quick question if you don't mind. I'm working on Paul McWorter's lesson where he make a 3d-printable nut and bolt. After making the extrusions he then creates a chamfer on the hex surfaces using the Revolve function. Thing is, he creates the revolve then selection the operation "Cut", but I only have New Body or New Component. The help files only show these two options also. Did this function get moved to somewhere else?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 6.55.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 6.55.09 PM.png
    99 KB · Views: 46
Found my answer: I was using the Surface(orange) revolve function when I should be using the Solid(blue) function

I had not watched
Found my answer: I was using the Surface(orange) revolve function when I should be using the Solid(blue) function
That would do it. Also if the body you're trying to "Cut" isn't turned on in the browser, then sometimes Fusion doesn't list "Cut" as a choice, or if it does offer it as a choice, you might get a warning as shown below. I had not watched this guy's videos before this. Too bad he's based on the old UI. When I was learning Fusion, I was routinely down rabbit holes trying to figure things out because the instructor user interface didn't match my own.

screenshot_5830.jpg

I did get that no target error at one point, but discovered why. I’m making my way thru this, watched a few of Lars Christensen’s videos too. A few times banging my head against the wall, a few light bulb moments. One foot in front of the other…

So does anyone have a go-to forum for 360 help and support, tips and tricks?

I worked through these two courses to get started. It kickstarted my use of Fusion for CAD and CAM. The instructor is really good, it's organized, and I feel like it's better than the youtube videos I tried.

Back