Gear puller of real quality?

For the money posilock pullers will do the job. I have some sets from snap on that are thirty years old with every adapter out to 16- 20" with the keepers and different arms jaws.. but you talking over a thousand dollars plus for the entire setup. The position lock set up pushes the jaws towards the pulley as it pushes the shaft outwards.

Check out Posi-lock pullers - best I've used.
YES, the Posi-lock pullers are great!!! First thing I grab. But like all pullers. Not one puller can do it all. You will need more than the Posi-lock to do everything…Dave

I luckily inherited a bunch of OTC pullers and bearing splitters. One thing I was missing was a the v-belt pulley attachment (OTC-679) and after years of trying to find a reasonably priced used one I finally gave up and purchased a new one a couple of months ago. It is made in USA. You can never have too many pullers! I always look for them at yard sales and flea markets.

OTC, I think Proto and Snap-on are made by them as well. I have old Japanese HIT, they are quality as well. Most import ones have too thick hooks requiring thinning.

Middle price point but decent quality are Gearwrench pullers. OTC is decent too. Snap-on and proto cost a lot but are top quality.

Roy

Proto (reasonable) ,posi lock (pricey but good). Cheap pullers (not worth much) I know I have some.

Thanks to all for the good suggestions. I found some NOS Craftsman options on eBay and will also keep an eye on CL.

Otc or snap on,pricey but well made.in auto repair business,snap on ball joint press(big c clamp)you can tighten snot out of it with no flex at all,indestructible and I break everything.

You guys are going to laugh at this ... but this is the best two jaw puller i've found anywhere in the last several years:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-Ton-2-Jaw-Puller-HGP424/205738372

Its made by Husky for Home Depot. The reason it is better than what you`ll generally find is because its made in Taiwan rather than China or India, and the quality shows. I have piles of these things from auto parts stores like Napa, and also from Sears, Harbor Freight, etc. This one has the best tolerances and finish of any of them. The jaws are finished to a sharp point where they actually hang on, unlike some of the India ones I have that are practically sloped away from the clamping pressure.

Always use antiseize on the threads!

Pullers are not a tool that I would recommend cutting corners on. A poor quality puller can get you hurt. Few of my pullers were bought new, but every one I ever spent a dime on was a quality puller.

Back