Gear puller of real quality?

OTC 1027, 5 ton puller is a good size for the price, arms are aluminum.

An older one on ebay that is used will probably be higher quality.

Most of the pullers I find for sale look like they could have been made in the same factory and just rebranded 100s of times. Cast arms and frame made from cheap pot metal with a black oxide square head screw likely to strip the first time one applies any significant force. They don't look up to pulling a nose hair.

Have any of you found something more robust? Or have plans for a versatile shop made set?

Thanks for any ideas out there.
Agree...OTC or Snap On would be what I look for.

I just bought 2 new pullers from Craftsman, they have been great, since I’ve bought them, they have pulled about 40 sets of feed water pump bearings, with no issues at all.

Otc or snap on,pricey but well made.in auto repair business,snap on ball joint press(big c clamp)you can tighten snot out of it with no flex at all,indestructible and I break everything.

I have a couple Snap On gear puller sets I bought back in the early 70's when I owned an auto repair shop. They were used heavily for more than 20 years in that shop and have survived nearly another 30 years for personal use. They still look as good as the day I bought them. Snap On quality doesn't come cheap. Today the cheaper set sells for $295.00 and the more expensive one is $695.00

Hydraulic, no less! Ya really got my curiosity up. What brand? What model?

I bought a Sykes Pickavant twin and triple leg hydraulic puller kit with an 8 ton(ne) ram back when I was in my early 20's back in England, 30+ years ago

If I remember correctly it cost me more than a months wages back then

It still gets regular weekly use in my business here in the US..

I have several from OTC and Snap-on that are great pullers but the ones I reach for most often are my Posi-Lok pullers. Hands down the best pullers I have ever used.

Mike

OTC, Posi-Lok, Snap-On and old Proto. Only problem with theses brands is it takes Ben Franklin's to buy them. Any smaller denomination and you won't get much.

I have a couple Snap On gear puller sets I bought back in the early 70's when I owned an auto repair shop. They were used heavily for more than 20 years in that shop and have survived nearly another 30 years for personal use. They still look as good as the day I bought them. Snap On quality doesn't come cheap. Today the cheaper set sells for $295.00 and the more expensive one is $695.00
You could have been writing about me Projectnut. Exactly same here. My pullers are from when I turned wrenched and owned my shop 25 years ago. What I will say about many of the Snap On pullers is that the screws and accessories are interchangeable on many of the larger sets. Thats a big plus as you can use their slide hammers on the 2 and 3 jaw sets. Top notch sets...But yea, real pricey. But we didn't have Ebay and now you can pick up used Snap on on Ebay for a lot less than retail.

Back