gloves are a no-no...but what do you do to keep splinters out of your fingers/hands?

I have an auto-immune condition which make me sensitive to certain chemicals so I always wear nitrile gloves. I only use the 3 mil around rotating spindles. For heavier hand work I use thicker gloves. The 3 mil gloves do break and/or tear easily to the point of being annoying sometimes but you still must be vigilant when wearing them.

A good Magnet works for me sometimes, if I'm machining/fabricating steel.

Yeah. Side milling in particular generates a lot of very nasty little needles. A strong magnet is good for getting them out.

Digi-Key has some very fine point Erem tweezers that you could use to tie a flea's shoelaces.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

nitrile gloves. they rip very easily so they're not going to drag your hand into anything.

All kind of gloves here for different purposes . I wear hot gloves when removing extrusion dies , Kevlar for general handling of machinery and metals , those thin nitrils in all sorts of weights for the parts washers and such , and ABSOLUTELY NO GLOVES while machining . I like my digits where they are located . ( All 21 of 'em ) :grin:

And yes , I keep a very large supply of good tweezers from Germany in my boxes , metal and wood in your body parts is just nature of the trade . Go get an MRI and see what they ask when you're a machinist .

I make boat shafts. Marine grade stainless long stringy chips. Either where gloves or slice your hands up. Don't get near spinning shaft. Turn machine off. And when cutting key seats on the horizontal mill better have gloves on. Very sharp tiny splinters will bed in your hands if you look at a distance.

I wear gloves. I have no reason to put my gloved hand anywhere near something rotating under power. Generally my hands are on the hand wheels which are powered by me, or at my sides during power feeding. If I have stringy chips, or some other issue, I stop the spindle and deal with it. Nothing I’m doing is worth risking my hands.

Maybe I will put on a set of latex gloves (got boxes of them in the shop for when I am working with fiberglass or carbon fiber with epoxy) when I am cleaning up.
Try really hard to keep carbon fiber and Kevlar splinters out of your skin. They do not break down over time, and can end up in other parts of your body where they can be fatal.

My old screw machine days my hands would be coverd in splinters. I ve found that putting clear tape on those ones you couldn t seem to get out would sweat it out and bring it to the surface giving you enough material to get out. Back in those days c12l14 which was a prime material was full of lead. I ve often wondered about that.

Back