gloves are a no-no...but what do you do to keep splinters out of your fingers/hands?

I'm one of the ones with skin problems, so most of the time I have on the thin nitrile gloves. I would almost swear looking at them wrong will tear them. Does not stop all the splinters but most of them and the chemicals, and you can still sense stuff through them.
One of my problems is trying to dig a splinter out of one hand, trying to hold a light, a magnifier and tweezers with the other.

I use a pair like these & the magnifier really helps. The ends are quite sharp which help grab the little frags.

Attachments

• SNAG-4-12-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-4-12-2019 0000.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 16
You can put gloves on to handle static stock, finished parts and for cleaning a stationary machine.

I've worn gloves for 40 yrs very much like tom lipton does. Never had a problem with splinters.

25 years a EMT for caterpillar, quick easy tip before you start diggin in deep try running a few passes of medium sandpaper over it. most of the time you will pick that sucker right out. then a quick dump of alcohol .

not for my paying customers just myself and the ones that wanted to go back to work and not throw me under the bus.

Hey there! I know this post is a bit old, but I thought I'd share my two cents on keeping splinters out of your hands. I totally get what you're saying about gloves being a no-go in certain situations, but have you considered using disposable nitrile gloves?

I always use nitrile gloves. That is, the cheap blue ones. If something catches one of these gloves, it will just tear the glove off.

I basically no longer touch the workpiece other than putting it in a machine and taking the finished product off the machine. Same with touching machines covered in swarf/chips. I just don't touch them with bare skin.

If I need to clean stuff away before it's finished, I use chip hooks, brushes, etc. Never compressed air, but I will use a compressed air vacuum to pull chips off the bed and such. Ditto with the shop vac, but with a disposable filter bag inside it.

Splinters are pretty much a thing of the past for me now. Happens from time to time, but it's rare.

Now, if I'm using a rotary burr on something with the air grinder.......well, lets just day I avoid using that carbide burr like it's made of highly radioactive materiel.....it turns steel/iron into thousands of little needles for every couple seconds of use and they go right through even clothes or gloves. Gotta be wearing leather protection to use that little monster. Even then, you are going to get steel under your skin.

I have a set of tweezers in my Kennedy box :)
Same here and also one of these on the bench:

29023AC6-F3AF-4156-8F7D-AB702DBD44F6.jpeg
eyes aren’t as good as they used to be so they need a little help with close up (and small) things. 10x lighted magnifier fits the bill nicely…

Last edited:
Back