Good Companies Selling Laser-Cut Parts Online?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I saw a video of Keith Fenner using a Wazer home waterjet, and for about 90 minutes, I was fully convinced I needed to buy one.

Now that this has passed, I thought I'd post a question. Is there any consensus about the best company that does laser or waterjet services? I mean an outfit that lets you upload CAD files and then sends parts. I know a lot of people like Sendcutsend, but I thought maybe there were new competitors out there. Not in China, hopefully, but I suppose China shouldn't be ruled out for big projects that cost a lot.

I recently saw a Timwelds video in which he designed a very nice 2x48 grinder and had the parts sent to him for welding. It only added up to $144.xx, which seems like a bargain considering how steel is doing better than gold on the exchanges.

Don't mind me, just tagging along...

I want to send the CAD drawings I recently purchased from Jeremy Schmidt to get the parts cut for the 2"x72" belt grinder build...

So looking for the same services...

SendCutSend seems to be the popular one. For me, it was the price that convinced me. I couldn't find anyone else to do a small job that was cheaper, except for my local maker space that has a water jet. I only pay for the garnet that is used (based on pump run time).

I had never used them... this would be my first for these kind of services.

I have to say... I went to the website, uploaded the drawings (.dxf) and got a quote... that was easy... There are two set of drawings in my case, one for thin parts (1/4") and one for the thick parts (3/8"). For the 3/8" I had to submit for a quote as it was over the size (??) they can handle automatically... I probably should have removed all the adapter plates for the different motors and just left one... I will retry after I do that to see if it can be processed automatically for a quote...

Anyway, glad I ran into your thread @Chips O'Toole !

Last edited:
One of the services I had quoted would not let me send a nested DXF file. If there were multiple parts, they all had to be in separate file. Even though it LOOKED like it took it and gave me a quote, when I tried to order it, it got bounced. If any of your files have nested parts, try splitting them up into individual files. I think it was OSHCut that automatically nested. I can't quite remember.

One of the services I had quoted would not let me send a nested DXF file. If there were multiple parts, they all had to be in separate file. Even though it LOOKED like it took it and gave me a quote, when I tried to order it, it got bounced. If any of your files have nested parts, try splitting them up into individual files. I think it was OSHCut that automatically nested. I can't quite remember.
Good to know. Thank you!

This one is a simple file (two actually)... One file, the parts, the way those were layed out, was just too long. The way the parts are arranged in the drawing.

I do not have a CAD app in this computer, so I can't modifying it to rearrange the parts... will have to wait for them to come back with a quote...

Last edited:
Worth ringing around any local shops that have waterjet , the price from job shops in the UK is pritty good and they will probably get a good price on materials too.

Most just want a file emailed to them , lots will work from adobe pdfs which can be handy.

Stu

Over the years I've collected a 'pile' parts and pieces to build a plasma table. I sure would be handy and quick to have that capability in house.
But there's this laser shop I use, and I'm confounded at the low prices they quote, the quality of the parts I get from them, and the quick turn around as well. I simply send them a PDF CAD drawing and they do the rest. Because of those factors, and the maintenence aspect and cost of an in-house plasma/laser/waterjet I just cannot justify having one.

+1 on looking for a local company to do the cutting. I had the top of my welding table waterjet cut because I wanted the corners to be very accurate 90 degrees. 1/2" plate cut was $200. I could barely buy the material for that price.

Back