[4]

Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

HarryJM

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
While working as a mechanic at Hawkeye Honda in Davenport Iowa (sometime around 1977) one of the other motorcycle mechanics was grinding some metal off his magnesium chain sprocket cover and left a little pile of ground up magnesium behind at the grinder. So at little while letter another mechanic starts to grind a piece of steel and created a little explosion. Lucky no one was hurt.

Firstram

Registered
A New York co-worker lost 2 fingers in a BP this past week . Wearing gloves , he was loading a part onto a rotary table with the spindle running which caught hold of the glove . He has been a master machinist for 28 years I was told . Corporate safety was here reviewing the accident with all mechanics and machinists this morning . Pics were provided too .

Be careful out there . :)

I have a co-worker that tried to brush the swarf off an annular cutter while it was running, he was wearing leather gloves. It ripped the 2 smallest fingers off his right hand along with the tendons that were attached to them. I've worked with him for over 30 years, unfortunately he's the kind of guy who won't listen us younger kids.

macardoso

Brass
Registered
The pics must not have been pleasant. I had to watch videos of arc flash injuries, not a pleasant thing to see. Arc Flash is a horrible way to die. The fat from your body will burn like oil on fire...
100% agree. That's some scary stuff. I hate wearing FR stuff in a hot building but it beats getting your face melted off.

bfd

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
glovrs are not to be worn around rotating equipment bill

jbltwin1

Registered
I was just funning with you! I actually remember looking at the one of the old "how to run a lathe" type documents from the 30's or so and the guy WAS wearing a tie while running a lathe. Different world back then! Mike.

Suzuki4evr

Brass
Registered
Veeeeeeery different. But I am sure there was common sense back then...............or maybe not.;) I am sure I am going to get some flack from that generation in a about a minute.

NortonDommi

Brass
Registered
I was just funning with you! I actually remember looking at the one of the old "how to run a lathe" type documents from the 30's or so and the guy WAS wearing a tie while running a lathe. Different world back then! Mike.
I think that is why tie-clips were invented.

jbltwin1

Registered
They showed one guy with his tie tucked into his button up shirt between the buttons!

Flyinfool

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
The place I work at now, when I started it was required that the engineers wear a tie. It only took me a couple of days to figure out that the engineers were also required to go out on the shop floor to assist and/or answer questions as well as work on prototype machine builds and testing. Of course I immediately lost the tie, when called out on it, I explained the perils of a tie in a shop as well as the history of a tie. Now there is no one in the company that wears a tie.
What is really scary is that the engineering manager then mentioned that he once got his tie caught by the lead screw on a lathe, lucky for him he was a very big strong guy and the machine was running at a slow enough speed for him to react, he was able to plant both hands on the machine and was strong enough to hold back till the tie broke and did not have his face pulled into the machine.

ErichKeane

Registered
I had three blunders last night...

First, I went try to fix up a lathe backing plate (the threads on the L1 chuck weren't cut deep enough I think), got everything lined up and did a few cuts. I must have cut too deep on one of my runs, because the cast iron of the backing plate just started flaking off. Part ruined.

Second, I started trying to test out my ability to cut threads. I thought the above happened because my gearbox was wrong or something, so I configured my lathe to cut what I thought was 8 TPI this time (instead of 6). I cut about a half dozen test cuts, all ended up being about 6 TPI! I pulled a bunch of covers off of gearboxes, and couldn't figure out what the heck had happened! Only then did I look to the RIGHT of the '8' on the chart, and saw a '6 1/2'. Turns out my lathe has TWO '6' TPI locations (see 'C' with end lever 2, left position, B with end lever 2, right position) and the one on 'C' looks a heck of a lot like an 8 :)

THEN, when testing out 12 TPI (minor screw up, I put the lever in 'A' instead of 'C', so was shocked to see 12 TPI result in 3 TPI), I forgot to take my chuck key out. I was in back gears so it happened slowly, but the key hit the carriage apron and sheared the 9/16" key right across. It was the least violent way I've seen something like this happen, but the 15HP lathe in backgears didn't even make a noise when tearing that key in half. If it wasn't for the end of the key falling out of the chuck and hitting the chip pan, it likely wouldn't have made a noise.

I then opted to just call it a night :)

Attachments

hman

Active User
What is really scary is that the engineering manager then mentioned that he once got his tie caught by the lead screw on a lathe, lucky for him he was a very big strong guy and the machine was running at a slow enough speed for him to react, he was able to plant both hands on the machine and was strong enough to hold back till the tie broke and did not have his face pulled into the machine.
Scary indeed that he didn't learn anything from the experience!

savarin

Active User
I like those old photos in popular mechanics where they are wearing long sleeved white coats, shirts and ties and smoking a pipe whilst doing something.

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Well, today I did something for the first time. I started the lathe with a key in the Jacobs spindle chuck. Naturally, I was in hurry and therefore Not Thinking. I lucked out: my VFD ramps up speed slowly, so the key just fell out into the chip pan
as it rotated around. No harm, no foul.

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
Way back when I was an apprentice, most of the older tradesmen wore a tie, some wore a waistcoat and even a jacket in colder weather. For the first two years we had to wear navy blue boiler maker overalls.

When we started 3rd year we were allowed to wear grey dust coats. same as some of the tradesman wore. Like a white lab coat but grey. They came in short sleeve for summer and long sleeve for winter but the sleeves had a button closure so they could be done up tight around the wrist for safety. These were normally worn over street clothes.

uncle harry

Active User
Registered
I like those old photos in popular mechanics where they are wearing long sleeved white coats, shirts and ties and smoking a pipe whilst doing something.
My Harrison M300 lathe operation manual has a picture of a machinist with a full length coat & a tie. My 300 is early green so I assume that it's a late '70 model Brit made.

[5] [7]