Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

I was drilling today with a brand new drill. I noticed excessive swarf was sticking in the flutes of the drill. Cleaning the drill and using cutting oil did not help. I was perplexed.

1690475409099.png

Turns out the drill was magnetized right out of the package! I de-maged it and problem solved! I would have never guess this, so I am sharing in case you run into this.
It was a Bosch cobalt drill. It actually held up quite well. I drilled about 15" of steel and it still looked brand new and cut on center.

Forget my previous smart ass thread and lets see if we can contribute to the OP's original intent.

I do a lot of machining with small drill bits, cutters etc on my drill / mill.

When chucking up a very small diameter drill bit in a 13 mm three jaw chuck it is very easy to get the chuck to tighten down on the bit when it is between just two jaws and not centered among the three.

Turning on the press without first doing a manual sweep can break the bit or damage the work piece.

Always rotate the chuck after tightening by hand to check clearance.

David
I like using my ER32 collet chuck for this type of work...

Turning chlorinated hydrocarbon compounds (ie. brake cleaner) into phosgene, a WWI poison gas.

Turning chlorinated hydrocarbon compounds (ie. brake cleaner) into phosgene, a WWI poison gas.
Yeah, thats a bad one and all it takes is someone spraying chlorinated brake kleen on something and then trying to weld it.

Been there, seen someone try that, ran away pretty fast when they wouldn’t listen and sparked the arc anyways.

That little event taught me to buy nothing but “non-chlorinated” brake kleen products…

Yeah, thats a bad one and all it takes is someone spraying chlorinated brake kleen on something and then trying to weld it.

Been there, seen someone try that, ran away pretty fast when they wouldn’t listen and sparked the arc anyways.

That little event taught me to buy nothing but “non-chlorinated” brake kleen products…
The bad thing is it can get you a long time after. You can be welding something that you didn't know someone sprayed brake cleaner on.

The bad thing is it can get you a long time after. You can be welding something that you didn't know someone sprayed brake cleaner on.
Yup. I always clean before welding after that little event. Even if its just a damp rag wipe down followed by dry.

Guy didn’t die that day, but he sure as hell was sick by the time they got him to emerg. As in : deathly sick.

He never did make it back to work and had long term health issues afterwards.

Scary stuff. Not to be trifled with…

Back