Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Yeah, thats a bad one and all it takes is someone spraying chlorinated brake kleen on something and then trying to weld it.

Been there, seen someone try that, ran away pretty fast when they wouldn’t listen and sparked the arc anyways.

That little event taught me to buy nothing but “non-chlorinated” brake kleen products…

We had a numbskull in the shop who just wouldn't listen and did some really stupid **** over the years.

Unbeknownst to me he sprayed down a dozen bolts with locktite accelerator on the drill press. I hate using the accelerator just due to the smell of it giving me an instant headache, but the warnings on the can.....

Anyway, like a fool he placed the bolts on the drill press table (48"x36" table) and went whole hog spraying the bolts with 1/4 can of this stuff.

Not knowing this a few days later I put some large workpiece up drilling something like a 2" hole in a 4" thick die parallel and started to make chips.

At one point I swept the chips off of the work as to not form the spinning tornado of chips around the bit and the pile started to give off wisps of smoke. I didn't think anything of if as the table is always covered in cutting oil.

Luckily my coworker on shift at the time heard me knock over something on my way to the floor and called the infirmary after choking on the same cloud of chemical mist. He then dragged me with the help of one of the press operators into the hall and that is where I came around with the worst pounding in my head you could ever imagine.

I didn't really pass out from this as I remember falling and trying to sit up, and them dragging me and the ridiculous thought of my tool box was unlocked and I didn't know where my keys were., but I wasn't really conscious either.

Hospital checked me out and sad I was probably OK and got lucky as if it were a smaller room and had I not been moved immediately it could have been a lot worse.

I got three days off until cleared by the company DR, the idiot in question got severely reprimanded (I wanted him gone) and the company removed the product from out inventory.

OK, here's my latest blunder.

Don't assume the small cutoffs in the Small tool steel cutoff box are all the same grade of steel.

I decided to make some 3" and 4" parallels for my mini mill and over the course of a couple days I cut them out from scraps and milled them.

Next time the oven was hot I threw them in and quenched in oil as most of the flat stock we use is O-1.

Out of seven sets of parallels only one set came out hard.

I sat on this for a couple days kind of annoyed at myself for wasting my free time, and when the next batch of A-2 went in I figured it couldn't hurt to throw them in and see what happens.

They came out 65 RC and were saved. I drew them back to about 50 and they turned out good.

I have however seen guys make entire die steels out of something mislabeled only to have to trash it and start over.

We had a numbskull in the shop who just wouldn't listen and did some really stupid **** over the years.

Unbeknownst to me he sprayed down a dozen bolts with locktite accelerator on the drill press. I hate using the accelerator just due to the smell of it giving me an instant headache, but the warnings on the can.....

Anyway, like a fool he placed the bolts on the drill press table (48"x36" table) and went whole hog spraying the bolts with 1/4 can of this stuff.

Not knowing this a few days later I put some large workpiece up drilling something like a 2" hole in a 4" thick die parallel and started to make chips.

At one point I swept the chips off of the work as to not form the spinning tornado of chips around the bit and the pile started to give off wisps of smoke. I didn't think anything of if as the table is always covered in cutting oil.

Luckily my coworker on shift at the time heard me knock over something on my way to the floor and called the infirmary after choking on the same cloud of chemical mist. He then dragged me with the help of one of the press operators into the hall and that is where I came around with the worst pounding in my head you could ever imagine.

I didn't really pass out from this as I remember falling and trying to sit up, and them dragging me and the ridiculous thought of my tool box was unlocked and I didn't know where my keys were., but I wasn't really conscious either.

Hospital checked me out and sad I was probably OK and got lucky as if it were a smaller room and had I not been moved immediately it could have been a lot worse.

I got three days off until cleared by the company DR, the idiot in question got severely reprimanded (I wanted him gone) and the company removed the product from out inventory.
I must confess, I've never used that product. I looked up the MSDS and while it didn't quite lay out what the mechanism for your "pass out" was, all I needed to see was this:

Inhalation:
Inhalation of vapors or mists of the product may be irritating to the respiratory system.
Central nervous system depression, including dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, nausea, headache, unconsciousness.

Aggravated med. condition:
Liver disorders. Lung disorders. Kidney disorders

CNS depression......seriously scary stuff.....

I must confess, I've never used that product. I looked up the MSDS and while it didn't quite lay out what the mechanism for your "pass out" was, all I needed to see was this:

CNS depression......seriously scary stuff.....
Can confirm all symptoms/side effects.

It also makes you want to choke the living doo doo out of ignorant people you work with who damn near kill you.

That's not on the label.

For years prior every time it showed up in the shop I would throw it out as soon as I found it, that's how bad the stuff is and how much I hated it.

Back