got a call today from the ATF

A different view on ATF. As a quarry Superintendant I got some calls from the ATF Regional Office with later visitations. This was prior to 9/11 . The first meeting was filled with aniety that soon disapated. They wanted to know about record keeping, In my case we had an inventory of about 50 different items that through a good inventory system seemed to meet their approval.

Visiting with them on the way to the magazines and shot area, I learned they spent a lot of time at the breweries in Golden and Greeley. The inspectors were all male, and they seemed to appreciate a courteous and cooperative effort on my part.

They were then and I think even now are good people who since 9/11 have a tough job. They are not the enemy, they are doing what our real enemies have forced us to do

Ray

Last edited:
I got my ffl last April. A couple of years ago the local gunsmith asked if I was interested in learning gunsmithing with him. My farrier/blacksmith business was in a slump along with the rest of the country so it seemed like opportune timing. I already had a small machine/blacksmith shop. I'd heard a bunch of things all over the internet and hearsay at the range, but the ATF inspector showed up at my house at the appointed time. Was very courteous and task oriented. We basically had two hours of record keeping and protocols to go over, chit-chat was kept at a minimum. She didn't want to bother with seeing my shop or safe or anything, it was basically my responsibility to fill out the forms correctly. I keep three bound books: transfers; gunsmithing; personal guns. I'd recommend joining the NSSF as they have a bunch of resources, including a template for filling out the 4473, which helps a lot as I don't do many transfers so I still have a fairly remedial skill when calling NICS. I don't have the full swing of rolling off the military alphabet and that pisses off some of the NICS agents, a little unnerving when trying to pay attention to three pages to fill out and verify. Omissions of error are as damning as deceit. Best of luck.

Kevin D
Morrow, OH

I recently stumbled upon some information suggesting you need an ITAR registration with an 07 FFL. That would be $2,250 PER YEAR. :yikes::faint:
Does anyone have any first hand info about this?

I recently stumbled upon some information suggesting you need an ITAR registration with an 07 FFL. That would be $2,250 PER YEAR. :yikes::faint:
Does anyone have any first hand info about this?

I just looked into this and secided against it. cause

with an 07 FFL the ATF is required to do a compliance check AT LEAST once a year, you also give something called the TTB (tax and trade bureau) permision to come and audit your financial books to ensure you are paying the 11% FAET ( firearms and ammunition excise tax) on the retail price on any gun or ammunition you make. the ITAR and the $2250 tax is a grey area for me, because I had already given up on the whole idea and shredded the applications and paperwork.

WAY to many government TLA's (three letter acronyms) for me to want to deal with.

WAY to many government TLA's (three letter acronyms) for me to want to deal with.

While I have your attention, what did you do for the "Hours of Operation" on the application? I don't see a way to say "Appointment only".

While I have your attention, what did you do for the "Hours of Operation" on the application? I don't see a way to say "Appointment only".

I put down when I'm ususally around.
they don't care about store hours per se, they want to know when they can drop in unannounced to do a compliance check.

I too am waiting on my FFL while I get my shop set up. As usual, my timing was impeccable, I mailed it off the day the gov't shut down...

Please remember that political messages are against the rules. It is easy to slip into politics in a subject of this nature. I had to delete a post that violated the rules.

Hi, guys,

New poster here. I do work on my own guns and ocassionally will do work for free on a friends gun. Sometimes I think about getting licensed to manufacture/modify guns for others to generate more jing for more tools for my home shop. I have heard from guys in the past that ATF won't give you a license if your shop is in your home?? Mine is in my garage. And I know it doesn't meet industrial security standards. Anyone have any insight on this?

Regards, SSK

Back