Got a death trap ATC200E

I had a pair of ATC200S. I bought them brand new for $1056 each. They were my first big purchase ever. (my cars never cost more than $1000)

Are they dangerous, yes! Are they fun to ride? YES!
They are actually a little more maneuverable than a quad. They will go some places that a quad won't.
They suck in loose sand and snow deeper than about 4 inches because the front tire has too much weight. If spread over two wheels it's better.
They're easy to pop a wheelie and if you learn how you can pop one and land on your back, completely unharmed.
Don't turn the wheel if you're moving backwards and expect to stay on. You won't.
Don't brake hard and turn the front wheel. You will become a jumbled up mess with the 255# trike.
If you feel like you're going to flip when turning, resist the urge to put your foot down. It hurts when you run over your leg.

I flipped my ATC no less than 50 times and I don't have any permanent injuries. Most of the time when I flipped it it was, sort of, on purpose.
I did get a knee injury one one. I don't think it was because it was a 3 wheeler. I think jumping it just aggravated an older injury. My knee is still messed up.

All in all, they were tons of fun. When they stopped making 3 wheelers it kind of bummed me out.

And the reason they stopped making them, I was told back in the day, was the government outlawed them because they were considered dangerous. I don't know how the Can-Am trikes got past that, though. Maybe they have a differential whereas the ATC had a fixed axle.
I wheelie my friends Honda quad all the time and do two wheels at less than 5mph, learned to never put my foot down when my friend got pulled of his

I had a pair of ATC200S. I bought them brand new for $1056 each. They were my first big purchase ever. (my cars never cost more than $1000)

Are they dangerous, yes! Are they fun to ride? YES!
They are actually a little more maneuverable than a quad. They will go some places that a quad won't.
They suck in loose sand and snow deeper than about 4 inches because the front tire has too much weight. If spread over two wheels it's better.
They're easy to pop a wheelie and if you learn how you can pop one and land on your back, completely unharmed.
Don't turn the wheel if you're moving backwards and expect to stay on. You won't.
Don't brake hard and turn the front wheel. You will become a jumbled up mess with the 255# trike.
If you feel like you're going to flip when turning, resist the urge to put your foot down. It hurts when you run over your leg.

I flipped my ATC no less than 50 times and I don't have any permanent injuries. Most of the time when I flipped it it was, sort of, on purpose.
I did get a knee injury one one. I don't think it was because it was a 3 wheeler. I think jumping it just aggravated an older injury. My knee is still messed up.

All in all, they were tons of fun. When they stopped making 3 wheelers it kind of bummed me out.

And the reason they stopped making them, I was told back in the day, was the government outlawed them because they were considered dangerous. I don't know how the Can-Am trikes got past that, though. Maybe they have a differential whereas the ATC had a fixed axle.
Man makes excellent points.
But you can also have fun working on it. Battery shot? Get an AGM battery. Need rubber? There's good deals on line. Getting them mounted is good exercise.
Sounds like you have a good foundation for a fun experience!

You couldn't give me one of those things. I don't quite understand why people get so enamored with machines that have gone the way of the Dodo. The chances of you getting hurt on that thing are pretty high. Be careful.

My brother has two Honda Odesseys in his barn. I would love to have one of those. Low-slung, fast and has a roll cage.

Attachments

• odessy.jpg
    odessy.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 1983_canton-ok_featured-new.jpg
    1983_canton-ok_featured-new.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 7
I have 3 mint Honda 400EXs in the garage . Maybe 36 miles on each . I can almost get to them now after after the 2 machines left , but not quite . :grin:

Fix it, sell it, buy something with 2 wheels or 4.

I rode one of those back in the day and couldn’t understand why Honda ever built them.

I ride all the time and leaning in the opposite is just crazy. Do your future self a favor and get into something less likely paralyze or kill you.

John

Fix it, sell it, buy something with 2 wheels or 4.

I rode one of those back in the day and couldn’t understand why Honda ever built them.

I ride all the time and leaning in the opposite is just crazy. Do your future self a favor and get into something less likely paralyze or kill you.

John
I don't get the "lean the other way" comments.
Going left, lean left. Going right, lean right.
Only difference is the trike won't lean with you.

Man makes excellent points.
But you can also have fun working on it. Battery shot? Get an AGM battery. Need rubber? There's good deals on line. Getting them mounted is good exercise.
Sounds like you have a good foundation for a fun experience!
Mine didn't have batteries. They were pull start.

I don't get the "lean the other way" comments.
Going left, lean left. Going right, lean right.
Only difference is the trike won't lean with you.
It’s been many years but my recollection is riding one of these is very counterintuitive for someone who rides motorcycles.

I ride and accept the danger, todays bikes are way better than ones from the 80’s. I’d never accept something that wasn’t engineered to be as safe as possible though.

Maybe I’m just old but I didn’t get these things back when they were new either and I was riding my Kawasaki 500.

John

It’s been many years but my recollection is riding one of these is very counterintuitive for someone who rides motorcycles.

I ride and accept the danger, todays bikes are way better than ones from the 80’s. I’d never accept something that wasn’t engineered to be as safe as possible though.

Maybe I’m just old but I didn’t get these things back when they were new either and I was riding my Kawasaki 500.

John
Counterintuitive, yes.
On a motorcycle you lean with the bike. On a trike or quad you don't lean with the bike but you lean the same way.
I referred to it as kicking the back wheels away from you when I was teaching people how to ride them.
After a lot of riding, that counterintuitive feeling is gone and it becomes natural to ride that way on that type of vehicle.
It's just a matter of teaching a new set of muscle memory. Sililar to driving a stick VS an automatic or skiing VS snowboarding.

0EF66CFF-9451-43E7-A699-ACE317A36B83.jpeg
Got a new carb and tuned it in, starts first pull. Rode it around on some trails and went about 10 to see when it starts to roll so I get a feel for it. Faster acceleration than my friends 2003 Honda 250cc until 30 where I don’t want to go faster even in a straight line. Put on two 2” led light bars and they are super bright, also made a small toolbox for the front to cover up the beat rack, more space than the built in box.

Back