Got an 11" Logan lathe

That looks really great!

First post: Thursday, March 27, 2023. Last post: Thursday, April 4, 2023.

You sure got a lot done in eight days. Beautiful work.

Regards

I have more updates to share... I few weeks ago, I tore the head stock apart to inspect the back gears. Unfortunately, there was a broken gear. So I bought a replacement from ebay. While I was waiting, I cleaned the casting in my little hot tank and painted the the headstock casting as best as I could. Finally, yesterday my son and I got the headstock partially re-assemlbed.

Attachments

• IMG_3623.JPG
    IMG_3623.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_E3627.JPG
    IMG_E3627.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3626.JPG
    IMG_3626.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3630.JPG
    IMG_3630.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3652.JPG
    IMG_3652.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3749.JPG
    IMG_3749.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3750.JPG
    IMG_3750.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 40
More progress to report... I got the bed painted and re-assembled to the chip tray and legs. This weekend, I'll start tearing down the head and getting it prepped for powder coating.
Thought I would point out a few things about a Logan with a turret. First most turrets were bored on the lathe bed they were to be used on. And if used on another same sized Logan turrets could be off a few thousands. Old school if you bought a turret after you already had a Logan you had to bore turret yourself. To make it true to that lathe.
Another thing about a turret they had less bed ware near the spindle because the turrets were often used in place of the saddle doing turning and boring operations. There is no question drilling , tapping and the like work better using the turret. So I would keep the turret if you can. I would still look for a tail stock as they have their place.

Wanted to give an update, it has been awhile since my last posting. Since my last posting, I reviewed the Logan exploded drawings and determined that I was missing some components for the head-stock assembly. About two weeks later and $350 poorer, I got the parts that I needed for my son and I to put the head-stock completely together. Also, I have begun to completely tear down, clean, inspect, and rebuild the quick change gearbox. I knocked out and cleaned all of the bushings, hot tanked the casting, painted the selector arms, cleaned all the gears, and blued some of the parts. This weekend, i hope to get it painted and completely re-assembled.

Attachments

• IMG_3921.JPG
    IMG_3921.JPG
    360.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3911.JPG
    IMG_3911.JPG
    454.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3907.JPG
    IMG_3907.JPG
    432.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3917.JPG
    IMG_3917.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3922.JPG
    IMG_3922.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 24
Looks like you are coming along nicely.
Finding the missing parts is a big plus!!
Besides cleaning and painting are you fitting the components?
How is the wear on the ways, apron and compound?
What finish are you using? Looks great!

Nice machine and nice work you're doing to it!
Did I miss the photos of the turret?
Is it there?
Is the turret driven from the feed/lead screw like the carriage?
If so I would be loathe to trade it for an ordinary tail stock.
You can do almost anything with the turret that you can do with a tail stock plus you can do several things with one that a tail stock Won't do.
I had an opportunity to play around with a Warner Swasey #5 turret lathe a few years ago.
Made 16 special "stud nuts" for the wheel weights on a Ford tractor like in this photo I grabbed off the net.
The ol' #5 made short work of it.

Attachments

• WheelStudA.jpg
    WheelStudA.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 6
Nice machine and nice work you're doing to it!
Did I miss the photos of the turret?
Is it there?
Is the turret driven from the feed/lead screw like the carriage?
If so I would be loathe to trade it for an ordinary tail stock.
You can do almost anything with the turret that you can do with a tail stock plus you can do several things with one that a tail stock Won't do.
I had an opportunity to play around with a Warner Swasey #5 turret lathe a few years ago.
Made 16 special "stud nuts" for the wheel weights on a Ford tractor like in this photo I grabbed off the net.
The ol' #5 made short work of it.

Back