Got Milk? - NO need help

Steve if I am understanding you correctly I can plug the corded gear motor into the harbor frieght switch and give it a whirl? Or do I need to plug it after resolving the SCR issue?

NO POP dont try that. you need the rectifier to make it "dc" before it hooks to the motor
dont try that pop!
you may need to find a friend with electrical ability or hire an electrican this 125v dc or ac will kill you
steve

Hey, Hey just took me a moment to think about it all. I am going to return the other SCR, and look for something that better suits my level of understanding, and or ask a couple of buds who used to do this kindof stuff I think.

Getting down and dirty with this now. Upon further review, I think Tony is onto something with the Bostongear Ratiopax. Since I was going to need to have an external control anyway, eventhough the Radiopax is bigger than what I was originally thinking, it actually would work quite nicely.

Now which one, I did send a request to Bostongear for assistance in matching. However I would like to get input from here, maybe Tony.

Bostongear Ratiopax general specs: pg 2
http://www.industrialmagza.com/pdf/boston/varspeeddrives/manuals/ratiopax-MGZ.pdf

Protech Gearmotor specs:
Speed: 250 rpm
Voltage: 125 DC
Amp: 0.5 Amp
Power: 1/12 HP
Torque: 10in - lbs
Gear ration: 10:1
Rotation: Reversible
Duty: Continous
Comes with IEC 320 C19 connector on 25" cord

Thank and much obliged

No doubt, Boston will give you good, solid information. I'll look it over also and see if my recommendation matches theirs. Do you need reversing with this motor?

the unit in the pdf is only good to 90v unless you hook it up to 220v instead of 110v (it would run but not full speed)

i didnt know if you were going to power this off 220ac but if so you will also have to watch you dont turn the unit up to high because it will put out 180v dc and burn up the motor (125v dc)
steve

First no I don't need reverse. Also as suggested, I am consulting with my bud who is an electrical engineer to have him go over the specification of my DC motor and make sure that I am getting the proper components for it to operate safely.

More to follow.

Thanks

Machinepop;

I have a KB Penta Power KBIC-120 Variable Speed unit on hane. You will have to get the Resistor as I don't have one. let me know if you can use it.

"Billy G" :))

kbu (700 x 525).jpg

okay after consulting with my friend, he pointed out that the Protech gearmotors voltage is 125 DC and looking at all the SCR that I was reviewing went 115v to 0-90dc or 230v to 0-180dc. Not 115v to 0 -180dc.

The question is what would be the downside of running the gearmotor at the lower 90dc, so as I could plug it into normal house current?

Would the motor turn at all or would it turn with limited torque? I am not sure of the answer. At this point with safety first always in mind I need to get theses questions answered before proceeding.

I writing to the Surplus Center to inquire why there tech said I could use normal house current to run this gearmotor.

Thanks

Only downside is you won't have the top rated motor speed. 90 VDC will be 90/125th of the rated RPM. Unless you need top speed, it will be fine.

Back