Green Newb here. Why do I need a rotary table?

drs23

Active User
Registered
...The reason I axe is I'm picking up a new "to me" mill this weekend and for an additional $400 it comes with a rotary table. Before you ask, I :dunno: what size/kind. My question like in the heading is: Why do I need one? I talked to my machinist friend and he tells me I'll never use it since we're going to install DRO with bolt circle pattern app. He tells me he hasn't used one in twenty years and he runs a mill all day, every day.

I've Googled them all afternoon and it seems as though (see thread here) SOME people use them. Would I be better off keeping the 400 bucks in my pocket or get the mill and EVERYTHING that is with it?

Thanks for your time and replies.

Dale

It depends on what you want to do. I can't see needing it for bolt circles, but it's essential for milling curves unless you have CNC.

Whether it's worth $400 depends on what size table it is... it might make more sense to buy one later if and when you need it.

RTs are not for just drilling circle hole patterns. I picked up a RT mainly for turning radii, can't really do that cleanly with just a DRO.

There are other applications besides bolt circles. If you need to mill out a radius groove on a part, you would need a rotary table. Radius and circle work on the mill is what its used for. Did you ever try to etch a sketch a circle? thats the dilemna you'll have if you need to. Pay now or pay later, that's what i say.:)) If you don't see yourself needing it, then , by all means , don't buy it.

It all depends on what you need to mill. If one isn't using a CNC setup there are jobs where a RT is indispensable. I've used mine on a number of projects, the latest one being a Christmas gift for my wife...

crossfish12.JPG

Just try cutting one of those arcs on a lathe or by just using your DRO.

Just because your buddy has no use for one doesn't mean that you won't.

-Ron

Great points guys! Just what I was looking for. Seems like with a RT all one needs is some scrap and an imagination huh? (I often find myself lacking in the imagination dept.) Please keep the ideas coming.

Even if you have CNC, a RT will be helpful in some cases. For example, I used mine once to cut a circle which was larger than what my CNC table could move to. In essence, it makes the table area larger without upgrading the mill.

With that being said, make sure the $400 are a good deal. It is possible RT's come up in the CL and/or eBay for less than that.

I can tell you I still regret selling my first 8" and practically new RT on eBay. It went for... $80!!! This was about 9 years ago and it still hurts...

I wouldn't be without my rt. Indispensable for certain jobs. Used mine extensively to build the drum mag for my Ruger/ Tommy gun posted in the gun forum here.

If you are going to make models you will need one. There are many parts that are circular,but have things sticking out of the circle here and there. You can't turn a non continuous circle on the lathe very well. For this situation,a rotary table will be needed.

I like your way of graduating your dial,Bill.

The 360º graduations on this surveyor's compass were graduated on an 8" Enco rotary table.It says David Brinkley because I was commissioned to make it for him. He was a famous newsman back in the 50's-70's.

Normally,the holes in this indexing attachment would be done on a rotary table. At the time though,I HAD no indexing attachment,and hand spaced these with a pair of dividers. It goes on a 6" rotary table. The rotary tables usually require calculations in the holes based on 90:1 ratio. The little numbers seen near true holes in the brass indexing plate are 1/32" high with serifs. I spent years finding old letter and number sets with serifs.

Actually,though,I more often use my Hardinge horizontal/vertical indexing attachment that uses 5C collets as I do a lot of small work and jewelry models for my wife's jewelry business.

You can enlarge the compass and the side view of the index plate by clicking in the image 3 times. I should have wiped the dust off of the index plate!! 2 images won't enlarge.

IMG_0499.JPG PICT0015.JPG dividing head 2.jpg dividing plate.jpg

Last edited:
Back